OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New weights for longbeards

Started by devin4484, January 16, 2015, 10:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devin4484

Got on winchester and seen that the longbeards are gonna be offered in two different weights now.  Anyone got ahold of the 1 7/8 in 3 inch or the 2 1/8 in 3.5 inch.  Velocity is slower which would be expected clockin at 1050fps

Spring Creek Calls

That's great!  The 3" 1-3/4 oz is 1200 fps and the 1-7/8 oz is 1050. Now let's keep an eye out for the 20 ga. load.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

drum817

That's gonna be VERY interesting!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

ericjames

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 16, 2015, 10:19:35 AM
That's great!  The 3" 1-3/4 oz is 1200 fps and the 1-7/8 oz is 1050. Now let's keep an eye out for the 20 ga. load.

I hope your right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decoykrvr

Significantly slowing down a lead load for a nominal increase in payload doesn't make much sense to me.  I chronographed the old Activ 3", 21/4 oz loads of 5's and 4's at @1025 -1050 fps and hunted with them until the advent of HTL shells.  The Activ shells contained approx. 60 more 5's and 50 more 4's  in a 21/4 oz load than the 17/8 oz LB, but the terminal velocity and KE of the Activ's dropped dramatically at @ 35-40 yards as measured by shooting into 1/4" marine grade plywood.

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: decoykrvr on January 16, 2015, 04:22:11 PM
Significantly slowing down a lead load for a nominal increase in payload doesn't make much sense to me.  I chronographed the old Activ 3", 21/4 oz loads of 5's and 4's at @1025 -1050 fps and hunted with them until the advent of HTL shells.  The Activ shells contained approx. 60 more 5's and 50 more 4's  in a 21/4 oz load than the 17/8 oz LB, but the terminal velocity and KE of the Activ's dropped dramatically at @ 35-40 yards as measured by shooting into 1/4" marine grade plywood.
^^^ This^^^
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Gooserbat

I really have to ask why?  The Longbeard became the overnight standard by which lead is judged and it needed no improvement.  From a lot of guns the pattern on a #6 load would hold up farther than the shot it's self was capable of killing a bird.  They wasted a lot of resources when they should have developed a 20 ga #6 load. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ericjames

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 16, 2015, 04:58:33 PM
I really have to ask why?  The Longbeard became the overnight standard by which lead is judged and it needed no improvement.  From a lot of guns the pattern on a #6 load would hold up farther than the shot it's self was capable of killing a bird.  They wasted a lot of resources when they should have developed a 20 ga #6 load.

I agree! I just want to see them in 20ga. Even though I will probably shoot fed. heavy weights anyway. I would like the option to shoot good patterns with lead out of a 20. There 12 ga loads did plenty good the way they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devin4484

My guess is that they will probably discontinue the double x and high velocity series in the near future now with two speeds in the lb.

Tbrady835

Woul 1/8 oz more shot be worth the 150 fps in a lead load?

albrubacker

X2 my nova never threw a great pattren with anything under 1200 fps
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Twowithone

Im glad I got the old longbeards and e/r shells. My Winnie 1300 likes 6 shot out of her. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

devin4484

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 16, 2015, 09:04:47 PM
Woul 1/8 oz more shot be worth the 150 fps in a lead load?

Some will want anything to help #'s in the 10" circle at 40 lol.

BowBendr

Quote from: Twowithone on January 16, 2015, 09:39:41 PMIm glad I got the old longbeards and e/r shells.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Not laughing at you specifically twowithone.....old longbeards.........

I can see it now, 1 year on the market and Winchester is already messing with the loadings.
Folks will head out to see if they can find last years stock, clammering from wal-mart to wal-mart, shaking the bushes, posting on forums...referring to them as the "old shells"....

And people grumbled about envirometal...changing loads...changing components...messing with perfection.....why, the nonsense ?
Remember "old whites" ??

Next thing you know, people will be chasing specific lot numbers...oh the horrors....
Sorry, I couldn't help it...it's like de-ja-vu all over again....

owlhoot

Agreed , also wouldn't a slower load also reduce the effective killing range.
I guess you could go from 6 shot to 5 shot to balance it out.
I do like the faster loads and the denser shot :z-twocents: