turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Am I missing something?

Started by bbcoach, January 13, 2015, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

For about a month now, I've started working with my mouth calls to IMPROVE my calling.  When you are developing your two note yelp, all the videos and instructional CD's talk about getting a CLEAR front end note and rolling over into a raspy back end note.  I don't have trouble with the raspy back end note but I don't feel like I get that CLEAR front end unless I use a ghost cut call.  I've tried every type of cut out there (batwing, split v, combo cut, reverse combo cut in 2, 2 1/2 and 3 reed calls) and the only cut, for me, that delivers that clear front end is the ghost cut.  Am I missing something or should I just stick with the ghost cut knowing that I will always sound like a young hen?  Am I over thinking this?   

GobbleNut

If you plan on entering a calling contest rather than hunt turkeys, sure, you should keep searching for that perfect call combination with which you can duplicate that sound.  What works for one caller will not necessarily work for you, however.  In my opinion, too many people try to duplicate "contest caller" yelping,...and very few can do it.  It is also completely unnecessary in turkey hunting. 

Anybody that has listened to many turkeys in the wild knows that, just like humans, every one of them has a different sounding voice.  True, some of them do the "contest caller" yelp, but many, many more of them will do something else altogether.  The trick is to find the sound that the turkeys you are calling to at any given time want to hear. 

To me, it is better to be able to use a variety of calls to duplicate as many of the types of yelps (and other calls) that you hear from turkeys in the wild.   

As to your direct question, I do think you are overthinking it,...not in terms of wanting to be the best caller you can be,...but in terms of feeling like you should be striving to duplicate one particular sound.  For hunting purposes, it is not needed. 

Finally, in searching for that perfect sound, whatever it might be, it is often the call itself that determines the sounds that you can make.  For instance, you can buy ten calls of the same type from a call maker and you might have one or two out of the ten with which you can get the sound you want.  It is just a fact of life with mouth calls.  The only one that can give them a "test run" is the one guy that puts it in his mouth. ....Most of us do not want to use mouth calls that have been for a test run.... ;D

sman

Many times I have hunted public land and let out a series of calls and had them answered by the worst hen talk I've ever heard.  Convinced they were other hunters, I would hush.  Shortly afterwards those terrible sounding calls would walk over to me in the form of a hen.

It's now what you say but how you say it that matters most.

hunter62

try less pressure at the start of your yelp let the reed vibrate soft calling practice will help you.

mikejd

Quote from: sman on January 13, 2015, 09:12:40 AM
Many times I have hunted public land and let out a series of calls and had them answered by the worst hen talk I've ever heard.  Convinced they were other hunters, I would hush.  Shortly afterwards those terrible sounding calls would walk over to me in the form of a hen.

It's now what you say but how you say it that matters most.

Most real hens sound lousy. Some worse then others.

I have never heard a hen sound ready for a calling contest.

drenalinld

It was difficult for me to learn and I still struggle with it at times. For me, less air and from diaphram with really light tongue pressure produces the clean front end. It can be done with any cut. Not many things were more frustrating for me than learning this. Definitely some were easier for me to get clear note but learned to do it with others.

Admire you for working at it. Very satisfying when you get it.