turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Compliment to a glass call

Started by 3geese4me, January 11, 2015, 11:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3geese4me

I am looking to expand my friction call collection and already have a glass assassin call by Hooks Custom Calls.  I want something that would be a suitable compliment to the sounds that the glass call produces.  I hunt in ND and our wind can be troublesome at times.  I am hesitant to purchase a slate call for fear that the inherent quietness of the call's surface would hinder any efforts at calling in a bird.  Should I stick with another higher pitched call such as an aluminum call?

gwa

It sounds like you are interested in locating which the glass would be fine.
I would actually opt for a slate over glass call to compliment your glass call. You can tone it down nicely for finishing off a gobbler.
You may also want to consider a nice longbox for locating....

Denny

worth612000

There are some slate calls out there that will scream adding a little more pressure on the surface. Don't under estimate a turkey's hearing.

VA_Birdhunter

A slate call is a very realistic call and always a good choice.  It will also scream if u want it to!   

If  your really leaning to wanting another call that can be labeled loud aluminum is good but don't over look crystal either....I like crystal a lot.  But both calls can also be toned down also for calling to one in close.

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

paboxcall

Quote from: gwa on January 11, 2015, 12:13:29 PM

You may also want to consider a nice longbox for locating....

Denny

If it's versatility you are searching for, then Denny hit the nail on the head.  A good long box will fit your needs.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

davisd9

Crystal is very close to a glass. I am a huge crystal and glass fan. Both can be played soft or you can really get down on her and scream. I use a Loftis Crystal Screamer with the carbon striker that comes with it with great results!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mgm1955

I'd add a good longbox and a slate. That will cover just about any situation.

3geese4me

I think I am going to go with a good slate call.  Yes, my intents are having a call to locate birds then have the ability to get really quiet once they start working.

davisd9

Quote from: 3geese4me on January 11, 2015, 10:13:04 PM
I think I am going to go with a good slate call.  Yes, my intents are having a call to locate birds then have the ability to get really quiet once they start working.

Nothing wrong with a good slate, look up Lonnie Sneed's Hot Hen.  Understand that any surface call can do what you are asking if you if is from a good callmaker and in the hand's of someone that practice's and learns the call.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: 3geese4me on January 11, 2015, 10:13:04 PM

That's a good choice....for sure check out the custom call makers on the sight and I highly recommend SS custom calls new "Game Over" series...there awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens