Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 930 vs. Mossberg 935...recoil question?

Started by BRUKSHOT, January 10, 2015, 10:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRUKSHOT

Hi everyone!  Just getting ready to pull the trigger for my wifes new turkey slayer.  The two final choices are the 930 and the 935.  Because the 935 has an overbored barrel, Mossberg advertises that it helps reduce the "kick".  Both have the same length of pull, both are 24" barrels, and are the same weight. My question is: Will the 935 have less noticeable kick when firing the same identical load from a 930?  (She will be shooting either a 2&3/4" load or a 3" load, no 3&1/2" shells.) Thanks in advance!

Tbrady835

I've had both and I couldn't really tell a difference InThe two as far as the recoil but if you are goin for a dedicated turkey rig then hands down get the 935 you can get really good patterns out of it with pretty little effort but if the gun is going to see dual use (slugs for deer) go with 930 you can still pull good patterns with it and can shoot slugs due to 935 overbore you can't shoot slugs, if I was picking one I would pick 935 but it's really up to what u are gonna do with it

BRUKSHOT

That is kind of the way we are leaning...towards the 935.  One thing to add into this decision is that the 930 comes with a ported barrel but the 935 does not.  Would that be a wash? 

Tbrady835

I could be wrong but i think the 935 has ported bbl not 930 and "they" say a ported bbl helps patterning I dunno I it does or not and it also is supposed to reduce felt recoil I dunno if it does or not the one thing I do know is it makes it loud!! I currently shoot a 835 for my turkey rig and it has the same bbl as the 935 ported/ over bored I don't mind the noise as I'm already deaf from deer rifles lol but I do think it help with patterning it's something about venting the gases??? I dunno I'm sure there is someone on here more knowledgable than I on this subject but I don't think u can go wrong with either mossbergs are great shotguns no matter what anybody tells you I have had all the "b" brands and I love my Missy's just as much as any of them but if it's a turkey only gun again I say 935 :anim_25:

BRUKSHOT

Thanks for your input Tbrady!  It is greatly appreciated!!

Anybody else care to chime in on this?

SCDieselDawg

Like said above. If it's going to be a dedicated turkey gun go with the 935. The 935 shares the same oversized bore that the 835s have. This is what makes them pattern so well. And the 935s can shoot
3 1/2" shells where the 930 is limited to 3".

Tbrady835

I didn't mention chamber size bc u said she was only gonna shoot 3" shells or 2&3/4" but scdieseldawg has a point if u ever wanted to use it as a backup or anything with the 935 u can throw a 3.5 in there and let er rip

dirt road ninja

The porting has no noticeable effect on recoil IMO. The 935 with a 3 inch load thru a turkey choke is going to have a pretty good wallop on both ends.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BRUKSHOT on January 10, 2015, 10:10:59 AM
Hi everyone!  Just getting ready to pull the trigger for my wifes new turkey slayer.  The two final choices are the 930 and the 935.  Because the 935 has an overbored barrel, Mossberg advertises that it helps reduce the "kick".  Both have the same length of pull, both are 24" barrels, and are the same weight. My question is: Will the 935 have less noticeable kick when firing the same identical load from a 930?  (She will be shooting either a 2&3/4" load or a 3" load, no 3&1/2" shells.) Thanks in advance!

I own both guns and shoot both on a pretty regular basis. They are quite different guns in many ways, chamber length of course but balance is also different.

For me the 930 balances better in the hand and comes up more quickly. Again, for me, the 930 has much less felt recoil than the 935 when using the same shells. I get cheek slap with the 935 but not with the 930.

I also own the 835 with the Matthews Recoil Reduction System and the SSi-ONE. They also have the overbored barrels and they do pattern quite well.

My 930 has a ported barrel and my 935 does not.

Overall, I'd choose the 930.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BRUKSHOT

Well, first of all...thanks for all the replies!  Second...We pulled the trigger yesterday and decided on the 935 Grand Slam Turkey!!  Got a great deal on one from Gander Mountain for only $675.  They are having a 10% sale on everything right now.  It was tempting to save a hundred bucks and go with the 930 Turkey, but we did not want a ported barrel.  I am 54 and da wifey is 52 and we need to save all the hearing we got left - LOL!!!  My wife will be shooting mainly 2&3/4 out of it with a limit of a 30 yard shot and she should be able to handle that just fine, as she does shoot both 2&3/4 and 3" lighter loads for ducks. 

Anybody have a good 2&3/4" load suggestion for us?  I am thinking either #6 or #7 shot with the X-Factor Ported Choke that comes with the gun.  I am thinking that with the X-Factor .695 choke over the TruGlo SSX .670, she will have a more open pattern at the closer yardages and still be able to thwopp a bird at 30 yards or so...What do you guys think???  Thanks - Bruk. 

jordanz7935

Congrats on the purchase. I love my 935. That said, you're looking to shoot 2&3/4 inch turkey loads through it for a max range of 30 yds???? You could have saved a lot of $$$ and went with a 20 ga shooting federal heavyweight #7s that would IMO, pattern better than any 2&3/4 " 12 ga load and be alot lighter weight and shorter in length.Especially for a woman to hunt with. Not trying to bash you or anything but i do know that i prefer to hunt with my 20 ga most of the time compared to my 935 loaded with 3.5s and i don't feel undergunned @ all. But since you already have the gun that's just heresay. I would stick with the ulti full choke and just go with any high base 2&3/4 #6 shell and you should be good to go @ 30 yds. I would look into the low recoil Hevi Shot Mag Blends so that you have a fudge factor  past 30yds and still keep recoil down.Now the good thing about getting a 935 is that if you want to use it, screw in the ssx or similar diameter choke and shoot some 3.5 Hevi shot or longbeards in it and you will have one of the best patterning turkey guns available. Best of luck to you and your wife this season.

BRUKSHOT

Thanks for the input jordanz!  I know what you are saying about going with a 20 gauge, but still wanted her to try shooting some heavy 2&3/4  and light 3" loads to see how she will be able to handle the recoil.  The 935 Grand Slam Turkey "is" a heavier gun that should soak up some of the recoil and I do know that at the very least she will be able to shoot some heavier 2&3/4 loads and maybe even be able to handle a 3" shell.  Oh, and I also picked up a .715 Mossberg X-FULL choke to try for only $18.  Funny thing is: The X-Factor .695 choke that came with the gun is restricted to "LEAD ONLY".  The .715 X-FULL Mossberg Turkey choke (#95255) is rated for "LEAD, STEEL and OTHER NON-TOXIC LOADS"  LOL!!!  I have some copper plated turkey loads laying around that I wanted to try but was afraid to with the X-Factor for fear of wrecking the choke. I figured for $18 what the heck...Bruk.

jordanz7935

The x factor choke is labeled "Lead Shot Only" so people dont shoot large steel waterfowl loads through it which is a big no-no. It is perfectly safe to use the xfactor choke with ANY lead turkey load, hevi shot turkey loads, or any HTL turkey load for that matter. 

BRUKSHOT

Well, actually, I called Mossberg yesterday morning to ask about that very thing about the X-Factor choke that came with the gun.  I spoke directly with a technician as to whether I can shoot any Hevi-Shot through that choke and he said no - Lead Only.  So, that is why I picked up the .715 X-Full choke which is OK for everything. How I found out about this was when I went online at Mossbergs website and clicked on the owners manual for the gun before I actually picked it up.  It states right in there "Lead Only" for the X-Factor Choke.  Also, when I was at the store yesterday picking up the gun, I did inform the the guy behind the counter about this situation and he did mention that some Mossberg guns have come in over the last year with stuck Turkey chokes in the barrel. 

turkey buster

The Tru-Glo SSX and the 935 equal awesome! A little research on that combo on here and you will spend the money for that choke.