Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida WMA permit process (seeking advice)

Started by strutnzone, January 09, 2015, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnzone

I will be in Pasco County for a few days in late March and I was wanting to take that opportunity to a try my luck
hunting some public ground.  I am a turkey junkie (like almost all on this site) and never pass up an chance to turkey hunt.
I am asking for some helpful advice: Are permits usually still available this late in the game? If so, I was looking at applying for
"Upper Hillsborough", "Richloam" or "Baird Unit Richloam", anyone have knowledge or guidance they would like to share on any of
these (open to any other recommendations)? Going in blind and with a short timeframe to hunt, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

bmhern

Go to myfwc.com and you should be able to find out about permits, dates, etc.

TURKEYWHACKER

Don't believe any of your mentioned areas have any permits available at this time. But as permits are returned there are weekly redraws, so maybe you can pick on up there.

TrophyTracker

Your best pet for a fly by the seat of your pants hunt out of Pasco co, would be the no permit required JUMPER CREEK WMA, which is in Sumter Co. It's not a Turkey Wonderland, but there are birds there.It's real Florida woods. It's easy access by taking either 301, or I-75
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

MiamiE

Ive never been to Jumper Creek but I hear it has some of the nastiest swamps in Florida.

longbeards

Hunted 3 different wildlife management areas in Fl last year...NONE of them impressed me!!
BUY snake boots!!

BigGobbler

Richloam no permit needed after first 9 days.upper Hillsboro no permit needed but it is only open On wednesdays and Thursday's. Green swamp no permit needed. If you can hunt turkey and spend a couple days on one of these places you should get on birds. 

RutnNStrutn

Besides the thick, nasty swamps at Jumper Creek, you also have to watch out for the ground nesting hornets. 3 of my friends walked on top of a nest of them while scouting for turkeys. All 3 got stung multiple times. That and they didn't get any turkeys on their hunt.

RutnNStrutn

Been to Richloam twice. Hear no gobbles, saw no turkeys, no tracks, no nothing, except for people sign, which there was lots of.

Gobblerjim

Sounds like you need to plan for 2016. Florida turkey quota apps are in November. Good luck on walkin areas.

BigGobbler

Yes true on all rutnstrutn, the biggest problem I had there was the air boats bet its really bad there now with all the water everywhere, heck there probably running them up in the pastures now lol

BigGobbler

There is still SOH permits for green swamp west

TURKEYWHACKER

Ah yes, Jumper Creek. The only WMA where I can say I was truly lost. If   ever there was a spot that every square inch looked the same, this is it. About 25 years ago I was deer hunting there and during an evening hunt heard some brush breaking and tensed up for a game sighting. All of the sudden a guy came running into the clearing in front of me, stopped, looked around wildly and started screaming. As he started to take off I hollered "hey". He stopped and I said "over here". The guy was soaking wet, covered in mosquito bites and lost big time. He said he went into the woods in the dark and had spent the entire day trying to find his way back to the parking area. I offered to walk him back out and asked where his gun was. He said he wasn't sure, didn't care at this point and just wanted to see his truck again. Bet he never set foot in that place again. True story, honest to God. And no, I was not the lost guy, I was the one in the tree. Gotta say this before RutnNStrutn asks.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on January 18, 2015, 07:13:14 AMAnd no, I was not the lost guy, I was the one in the tree. Gotta say this before RutnNStrutn asks.
Now, now Turkeywhacker, would I ask you that?? :lol: ;D :TooFunny:

TURKEYWHACKER

I have been turned around in there before, but never full blown, running & screaming, gun losing lost.  :thanks: