OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sights? Red dot?

Started by Jastein79, January 06, 2015, 01:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jastein79

Hey guys,

Just bought by 11 yr old a new 870 youth 20ga for turkey hunting. I'm going to put the TruGlo SSX .550 choke on it and he will be shooting the Federal Heavyweight #7's. I'm hoping with that tight constriction and flight control wad it'll be a turkey hammer. I am a little worried though about the said tight constriction. If the birds come in too close I'd like to have a sight or dot or something for a more fine aim. I've seen the sights that clamp onto the rib vent. Would that be a good option? What options would you all suggest? Thanks!

Rem Man

If it's going to be a turkey gun?  No doubt a b square mount with a red dot ! Your choke and she'll combo is perfect! But inside 30 I would rather have a red dot as it's very tight. Plus the b square allows you to also see your bead. Good luck !!

d.winsor

The fastfire III mounted to a rib mounted base will be awesome on that gun, and would work great for young ones. 

drum817

If you decide to go the open sight route then I would suggest Williams Fire sights.  I've had a set on a mossberg for years and they have been great!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Devastator

Quote from: drum817 on January 07, 2015, 06:27:36 PM
If you decide to go the open sight route then I would suggest Williams Fire sights.  I've had a set on a mossberg for years and they have been great!!!
Yep,ive got the Williams universal slugger sights on 2 guns and love them,rock solid  :icon_thumright:

Jastein79

Thanks for the advice! I'd never seen the b square mount. That looks pretty slick...

Tom Dooley

I have been taking my kids hunting for several years. You cannot beat a red dot for a youth. All they have to know is put the dot on the turkeys head and pull the trigger. The Bushnell TRS-25 or Weaver Micro dot would be a good sight for around $70. I have not used the Burris FF sight but I am sure by the reviews on here it would also be good. Good luck to you and your son.

Jastein79

So, I found the b square mount tonight at my local Fleet Farm for $20. If I get one of these red dots that are being suggested will they just mount directly to the b square rail? Meaning, will I need additional parts?

Tbrady835

I would suggest the bushnell trs 25 I have a fastfire and I prefer the trs 25 over the fastfire, that being said it being for a youth, the fastfire might be better, I don't know about the fastfire 3 but the fastfire two has on/off switch, bushnell makes a mini red dot called the first strike and it has an automatic sensor that adjust to ambient light meaning no on/off switch you take the cover off and it comes on, I own one of those too and it is a quality sight as well, I have hunted my whole life and I have been guilty off forgetting to switch on my sight, a kid will be very prone to forget to turn on /off the first strike may be best for your setup, and it's around 100$ and the burris fastfire a are double that! The burris does have good warranty though, and any of the above sights will mount directly to the b square.

turkey buster

Quote from: Jastein79 on January 13, 2015, 12:10:11 AM
So, I found the b square mount tonight at my local Fleet Farm for $20. If I get one of these red dots that are being suggested will they just mount directly to the b square rail? Meaning, will I need additional parts?

Any weaver mount red dot sight will mount right to the rail of the B-Square with no additional parts. If you require a traditional scope of course add weaver style scope rings