OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New member in Indiana

Started by mike_from_indiana, January 05, 2015, 07:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_from_indiana

Hello to all, glad I found this forum, I am enjoying it immensly. Hoping to get back into turkey hunting this spring, if I can find a place to hunt. Its been 20+ years since my last turkey hunt so I am wayyy over-due. My turkey gun is a Mossberg 835 with a .690 Jelly Head choke, I just recently bought it from a friend who wants to move over to a 935. Havent got to do much patterning yet but what little i have done looks to be very promising.
Looking foward to being a part of the forum, thanks for accepting my registration!

mgm1955

mike_from_indiana

Denny, i tend to favor box calls and pot style calls.

willy8457

alclark2

Welcome Mike! What part of the state your hunting? I'm in East Central part of Indiana myself.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

mike_from_indiana

Quote from: alclark2 on January 07, 2015, 05:59:29 PM
Welcome Mike! What part of the state your hunting? I'm in East Central part of Indiana myself.

Small world bud, im in east-central also, 7 miles east of Muncie...how bout yourself? Its been a lot of years since I got to go turkey hunting, alot has changed with the equipment. My old hunting grounds used to be down in Switzerland county, not far from Vevay. Unfortunately we lost that spot. I am in need of finding new turkey ground if i want to hunt this spring.

mike_from_indiana

Quote from: gwa on January 07, 2015, 06:02:20 PM
Quote from: mike_from_indiana on January 06, 2015, 06:32:00 PM
Denny, i tend to favor box calls and pot style calls.

Any favorites?

Denny

none in particular, just what ever sounds good. Ive not had much experience with custom made calls, most all of mine have been production calls but after looking over the calls classifieds that will probably change pretty soon.

mike_from_indiana

Forgot to mention... buying the 835 from my buddy didnt pan out so I went to a local gun shop today after work and did some swappin, came home with a used Mossy 835 with 24" barrel nearly identical to his minus the .690 Jelly Head choke. I just finished up doing a deep cleaning and polish on the bore. Its bone chilling cold here now, so not much in the way of patterning is gonna be done any time soon, but at least I got the (new to me) Turkey gun. Maybe this week I can order a choke or two.

mgm1955

Congrats on the new gun and good luck getting some custom calls. Lots of great callmakers here and members willing to share their knowledge and experience.

ericjames

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alclark2

Quote from: mike_from_indiana on January 07, 2015, 07:01:07 PM
Quote from: alclark2 on January 07, 2015, 05:59:29 PM

I'm about 20 mile NE of Muncie. I've heard of a few turkeys spotted up around Jay County and a few in Henry County. I hope they make our way to us soon!

Small world bud, im in east-central also, 7 miles east of Muncie...how bout yourself? Its been a lot of years since I got to go turkey hunting, alot has changed with the equipment. My old hunting grounds used to be down in Switzerland county, not far from Vevay. Unfortunately we lost that spot. I am in need of finding new turkey ground if i want to hunt this spring.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

mike_from_indiana

Yeah im in randolph county and they are slowly taking hold here, good luck finding a hunting spot iny area though, its nearly impossible.

tomstopper

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions