OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 930, 24" bbl, for the wife...go with the SSX choke???

Started by BRUKSHOT, January 04, 2015, 07:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRUKSHOT

Seems that the TruGlo SSX is the choke of choice for a lot of Mossbergs.  Do you guys think it would work as well in a in a Mossberg 930 with a 24" barrel or does the 930 have a hankerin for something different?  Can't find to much choke info on here on the 930...Thanks. 

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

BRUKSHOT

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BRUKSHOT on January 04, 2015, 07:23:20 PM
Seems that the TruGlo SSX is the choke of choice for a lot of Mossbergs.  Do you guys think it would work as well in a in a Mossberg 930 with a 24" barrel or does the 930 have a hankerin for something different?  Can't find to much choke info on here on the 930...Thanks.

That's what I use with my 930.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BRUKSHOT

Will Hevi-Shot #7's work well with the SSX also?  Most likely my wife will be shooting 2&3/4" shells through it at 30 yards and under.   

drum817

Quote from: BRUKSHOT on January 04, 2015, 08:00:12 PM
Will Hevi-Shot #7's work well with the SSX also?  Most likely my wife will be shooting 2&3/4" shells through it at 30 yards and under.

You will be fine!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

BRUKSHOT

turkey buster

If she's maxing out at 35 yards make sure she's not shooting too tight of a pattern, because  sounds to me like you want her shooting comfortably around 20 yards? Not saying the choke or shell choice is bad, just saying make sure she gets an even pattern and not necessarily a numbers pattern. Hope I make sense to you

BRUKSHOT

Quote from: turkey buster on January 05, 2015, 09:04:06 AM
If she's maxing out at 35 yards make sure she's not shooting too tight of a pattern, because  sounds to me like you want her shooting comfortably around 20 yards? Not saying the choke or shell choice is bad, just saying make sure she gets an even pattern and not necessarily a numbers pattern. Hope I make sense to you

Yes...my biggest worry is too tight of a pattern at the closer ranges.  I think I will start out with the factory full choke when I pattern shells as I don't want her to miss at close ranges like 15 to 20 yards, but I still want the shot to be effective out to 30-35 yards or so.  I think the factory full choke for the 930 (I just measured it at .700) will give her a wider pattern at the closer ranges, but should still knock the bird down at 30 to 35 yards.  Am I correct in my assumption on this or should I even try the factory mod choke which measures in at .715?  Thanks - Bruk.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BRUKSHOT on January 06, 2015, 09:18:08 AM
Quote from: turkey buster on January 05, 2015, 09:04:06 AM

Yes...my biggest worry is too tight of a pattern at the closer ranges.  I think I will start out with the factory full choke when I pattern shells as I don't want her to miss at close ranges like 15 to 20 yards, but I still want the shot to be effective out to 30-35 yards or so.  I think the factory full choke for the 930 (I just measured it at .700) will give her a wider pattern at the closer ranges, but should still knock the bird down at 30 to 35 yards.  Am I correct in my assumption on this or should I even try the factory mod choke which measures in at .715?  Thanks - Bruk.

Choke design has so much to do with what kind of pattern it throws at both near and far distances. You may want to take a look at this demo from a few years ago. There's a link within the article that takes you to the actual targets so you can see the differences. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=367

Thanks,
Clark

BRUKSHOT

Very interesting Clark!  Thank you for the link.  I would have thought that at 20 yards it would have looked more like a baseball sized hole with a SSX.  Evidently not.  One question for you Clark...do you think that a .730 factory choke might not reach the 30 to 35 yard mark with a dense enough pattern of 6's or 7's?  If so, I may just spring for the SSX choke right away before I start patternig the loads.  Thanks - Bruk.

turkey buster

I know my ssx and 935 shooting 3.5/6/LB look about like a softball at 20 yards

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BRUKSHOT on January 06, 2015, 09:50:02 AM
Very interesting Clark!  Thank you for the link.  I would have thought that at 20 yards it would have looked more like a baseball sized hole with a SSX.  Evidently not.  One question for you Clark...do you think that a .730 factory choke might not reach the 30 to 35 yard mark with a dense enough pattern of 6's or 7's?  If so, I may just spring for the SSX choke right away before I start patternig the loads.  Thanks - Bruk.

Yes, I understand. It's really all about the design of the choke tube.

That .730 or the factory full .690 might meet your needs with Hevi-13 shells with #7 shot in your 930 but in reality, it will take some time at the range to really see what works for you.

Please let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks,
Clark

Isomaad

With both Long Beard XR's and Hevi 3-2-7's, my 930 Turkey shoots a little tighter pattern at 40yds with an Indian Creek BDS .660 than it does with the SSX .643.  At 20 yds, both chokes throw a softball size pattern with a golf ball size hole usually torn out in the center.  It is so tight at 20 and under, I like to take my shots at 30-40yds in case Mr. Tom decides to move his noggin about the time I squeeze the trigger. 

VA_Birdhunter

You can't go wrong with the SSX choke....my 935 does great with it!  I won't be switching anytime soon!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens