OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A special turkey hunting gift for Christmas

Started by Tail Feathers, December 30, 2014, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

My oldest grandson (13) killed his first turkey this past spring, a jake.  I took the wingbones to a good friend who is a fellow turkey hunting addict and a master jeweler.
He made two wingbone calls, one a silver edged, scrimshawed presentation grade call and one a field grade call.  I gave them to my grandson at Christmas.
I could tell by the look on his face the boy realized how special they are.  After a few minutes practice he was making as good a turkey sound as I do.  That means he still needs to practice :laugh: but he proved to be a fast learner on the wingbone call.
I sure wish I'd taken a picture of the calls before I giftwrapped them.

Did anybody here get any special turkey related gifts this year?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

coyotetrpr

I love reading stories like this and love more the fact that the meaning of the gift was not lost on the boy. Thanks for sharing.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

tomstopper

Great gift that he will remember forever.....

Gobble!

Bennett

That's a great gift and one he will appreciate more as he gets older. I had Mr. Billy Buice make me and my two sons matching box calls for Christmas. Hope we make many memories with them as they get older.

GSLAM95

Would have loved to have seen pictures of how they turned out.  Great Christmas gift indeed and good luck to you and the grandson this coming spring with the new wingbones.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

mgm1955

Fantastic gift, great memories!! Thanks for sharing.

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VA_Birdhunter

That's a great gift and an awesome way to preserve the memory of a lifetime!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

slamman

firedup

Nicely done Sir!!  I am sure your "friend" did a fantastic job and that your grandson was thrilled!!  ;D

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

2eagles

Being a Grandpa is one of lifes great rewards! Looks like you are doing it right.  :icon_thumright: