turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for new boots for this spring!!

Started by TN Beard Buster, December 27, 2014, 06:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN Beard Buster

So guys! I've had it with leaky boots and soaking wet feet while turkey hunting! I'm shopping for tall snake boots. I've bought Red Head, Cabela's, and Falcon Mountain over the last 5 years and all of them wind up leaking on me. I have a pair of Muck's that I deer hunt in and never had a problem. The issue I do have is they too warm for spring. I looked on their website today and they have Cool Lite Armor snake boots that I bet would do the trick. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with these, good or bad. My deer hunting Muck's are a size 10 and fit well with heavy socks. When I wear thin socks and walk a ways they rub bad blisters on my heels. Since they don't do half sizes, would I need a 9 instead? I'm looking for honest opinions before I drop nearly $200 for these. Please help and no B.S. Please!!!

Kates

I have had a pair of Danners for three years.  No leaks so far and very comfortable.

mwr

I bought Danner also, last year. No leaks...very comfortable, maybe high priced but worth it IMO

Mikey

dirt road ninja

I purchased a pair of Chippewa's last winter and they stayed waterproof last spring. I doubt they will remain waterproof as long as the UA's. They are very comfortable, easy to put on and take off. They are the only snake boot that I've ever worn for an entire season. All the others I've owned were worn for a week or so and put aside for a more comfortable boot.

VA_Birdhunter

TN Beard Buster...I'm in the same boat as you...I have got to get a new pair of buts this year for turkey season.  I've always wore traditional lace up boots but need a pair of rubber boots this year since I'm going to SC.  The problem is I've never wore rubber boots ever hunting and don't won't a hot pair of boots that will sweat me to death...so I'm trying to research all I can.  I'm also concerned if they are comfortable to ware at all since this will be my first time using them.  I've heard good things about UA...I ware UA duty boots 5 days a week to work and have for two years....there the most comfortable boots I've ever wore so I'm thinking about them.  Do you like hunting in rubber boots more then traditional?  Just curious?  Cause if I drop a good amount of $$ on a pair I might want to try and ware them all spring season.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

TN Beard Buster

Yes I do like hunting in rubber boots! I've worn my current pair of Muck's for the last 4 deer seasons and a little turkey hunting  with no problems other than my feet sweating because of the insulation. That's why I'm considering their cool lite snake armor boots.

mgm1955

I've worn Danner for a long time and think they're the best. I know a lot of people who also like Russell, custom fitted. I would think they deserve a look as well.

Gobble!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Under-Armour-reg-H-A-W-Rubber-Boots/1221414.uts

Under Armour HAW. I have always used rubber boots because of the morning dew and crossing creeks. I've tried Cabelas, Muck, and other brands but by far the best I have had are the Under Armour boots. Feel more durable and are super comfortable. I am a run and gun guy and put many miles on mine last spring. I tired on probably 10 different brands before these and they were by far the best for me.

daymude7288

I have always hunted in rubber and they usually all end up leaking after alot of hard hunting.  That being said they are not the most comfortable boot if you plan on putting alot of miles in. I have had Lacrosse, cabelas, and mucks (Mucks being my favorite). I hunt alot of public land and walk MILES!!  And let me tell ya, my feet are soaked in sweat by the time i get back to the truck. I picked up a pair of Irish Setter 8" Vaprtreks on sale for $70 to try this year.  If you don't have to walk much than i don't think you can beat a rubber boot.  But if you plan on hiking the mountains than I would recommend something else.  Thats just my 2 cents.

mwr

Quote from: mgm1955 on December 27, 2014, 10:09:38 PM
I've worn Danner for a long time and think they're the best. I know a lot of people who also like Russell, custom fitted. I would think they deserve a look as well.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: they are higher priced..

hotrod3h

I wear Muck Wetlands. Got them 2 years ago for around $100 much more comfortable than lacrosse in my opinion. Any rubber boots are going to be warmer than non rubber. But if your hunting swamps or crossing creeks there my first choice. I have a pair of danner pronghorns that I really love. I had to retreat them with because they were leaking a bit now there much better. I also retreated my rain gear.

Maybe worth it to try and retreat your boots with Nikwax if leaking a little bit. Just make sure you buy and use the right stuff. Make products for Gore tex & non Gore tex. Worked for me.

Oh and a boot dryer is one of the best things I've bought. Use it everyday during Turkey season. Pack it on all my trips. Dry boots every morning.

BigMick

Another vote for Danner.  I've had mine about 4 or 5 seasons and I LOVE them.  Comfortable, pretty light, no problems with leaks.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hotrod3h

Matt81302

Quote from: guesswho on December 28, 2014, 04:16:44 PM
Don't know if this model or size will work for you but Midway Usa has a good price on some Danners in a selective size range.   
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/642282/danner-jackal-ii-gtx-7-boots-leather-and-nylon?srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=45-22603644-2&cm_mmc=pf_ci_shopping-_-pf_ci_shopping%20-_-pf_ci_shopping%20-_-pf_ci_shopping

Thanks for that. I just ordered a pair. I was eyeballing this same boot at Cabelas on clearance the other day for $79.