turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone hunt with Browning bps?

Started by t_gibson89, December 27, 2014, 12:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_gibson89

Found a used BPS in good condition, wondering if anyone that has one or hunts with it  would share their opinion of it. It has invector screw in chokes for $400 and doesn't appear to be shot a lot, wondering if it's a good deal, comments appreciated, thanks.
No such thing as a bad day in the woods.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: t_gibson89 on December 27, 2014, 12:30:54 AM
Found a used BPS in good condition, wondering if anyone that has one or hunts with it  would share their opinion of it. It has invector screw in chokes for $400 and doesn't appear to be shot a lot, wondering if it's a good deal, comments appreciated, thanks.

I've had several over the years, both Invector, the early models and Invector+, the more current ones. I've had both 3" and 3.5" models and now have 2 that are both 3" guns.

They are excellent shotguns, all steel and the bottom loading and ejection makes them perfect for right and left-hand shooters. The action is also closed since the feed is on the bottom and less junk can enter it. They have a very smooth and quick operation. Browning shotguns, including the BPS, have some of the finest bores of any commercially made shotguns. They are incredibly smooth and concentric. They are also very well balanced and easy to carry on an all day hunt. All excellent features.

The negative features are it's a bit heavier than an 870 or 500 and there are not as many ways to customize one as there are with those other guns. It takes a special base that is much more expensive than a standard base, if you ever want to mount a scope. Lastly, taking apart the "internals (bolt, firing pin, etc.) is complicated and no longer recommended by Browning except when performed by a gunsmith. Triggers are normally pretty heavy.

For what it's worth, BPS shoguns have won many still target world championships (both Invector and Invector+ models) and a BPS set the most recent world record.

I think you'd be very happy with a BPS.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

They work fine.  The only things I have seen is the KICK like a MULE on Crack.  :TrainWreck1:
They also will shoot High. 

Now put you a 675 in the Invector plus and something around 650 in older Invector.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

dirt road ninja

My 10 gauge is a BPS. Much higher quality weapon than the 870/835's. My bore looks polished (never was) and no rattling. That said, I quit using it years ago in favor of the lighter 835. Of the pump guns I've owned the BPS is the most solid, but the weight and the bottom eject I never got use to. I think the deal you found is a good one.

zeke632

My oldest son & I both have & hunt turkeys with a BPS. We like them. I've only had mine a couple of years but he has had his for about 10 years or so.  We have never had a problem with either of them (he isnt prone to take the best care of stuff either)
Ive only turkey hunted with mine and shoot blends with an Indian Creek choke.  He hunts ducks, geese, rabbits, squirrels, crows, turkeys etc with his.  Very reliable for us.

stinkpickle

It's the smoothest pump I've ever played with.  Even though it's heavy, it's my primary gun.

decoykrvr

I've got a 31/2" BPS Invector + which produces great patterns w/ an Indian Creek .665 w/ HTL 7's and 6's.  I change the tube to an Indian Creek .675 when shooting MagBlends.  My BPS shoots only marginally better patterns w/ 31/2" shells vs 3" shells.  The gun is a little heavy, and for that and other reasons, I usually hunt with the slickest/smoothest pump shotgun ever manufactured, a 3' Ithaca Model 37.

WildTigerTrout

My BPS is a "Stalker" 10 ga. 24". It is VERY solid and well built. The quality is outstanding. The BPS is heavier than most shotguns because it is made with steel not some aluminum alloy.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Snoodsniper

I have a 12 ga. 3 1/2".....love it

CrustyRusty

I have one in twenty with real tree finish that is my favorite turkey gun.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Browning ......The best there is'....imo.You will have to pry my Bps from my cold dead hands for me to give them up.

Bowguy

The only thing you should consider or worry about on that gun is length of pull if you're short.

ncwoodsman

My favorite all time turkey slayer, never leave home without mine.

Swampchickin234

You can't beat em. Slick pumps.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Tom

Have a 12 ga BPS that have hunted with last several yrs...3" hevi shot #6 killed lot of birds...never missed a beat. Probably best made pump...little on heavy side only drawback. Also have a 870 Wingmaster I bought in practically new condition yrs ago and I put a synthetic stock on and had it dipped in Mossy Oak bottomland....all steel construction just like the BPS...only weighs 7.4 lbs. and with a longbeard #6 throws a wicked pattern much further than we suppose to kill them. The balance of the 870 is incredible and much lighter to carry all day.