turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Working long box

Started by Gobblerjim, December 25, 2014, 06:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblerjim

Thinking about adding a long box to my arsenal this year. It will be my first one. Looking for some suggestions. Also, in what scenarios do you find using one helpful. I hunt south fla swamps and usually use pot calls and diaphragms.
Looking for something reasonably priced. No bells and whistles just pure turkey talk. Thanks guys.

Will

I have a few of Marlin Watkins that flat out yelp. I also have a few of Jeff McKameys of twisting creek game calls that are turkey as well. I have a Kwila/Butternut from Mr McKamey that kee Kees like you wouldn't believe. That's to name a few for I don't have any others from anyone else. I have heard other boxes from other makers and they all just flat out sing.

mgm1955

Lots of good ones out there!! I'd give some of these guys a call and ask them if they'd play one of their's and pick one that sounds good to you. One of the most versatile calls you can get. Learn to use it and you'll call in a lot of turkeys.
Jeff McKamey
Frank Kreuer
SS custom calls--Al and Josh Shoemaker
Tim Bullock--No Bull custom calls
Marlin Watkins
These are just a few of a lot of very talented callmakers on this site. Good Luck!

I have several Russel Beard Long Boxes that are great.Very reasonable on the price.His cell number is 678-614-8859  Great callmaker

hunter22

I guess I have around 75 long boxes from most of the callmakers out there. I have some that are truly outstanding and some that I am not sure would make good fire wood. Some long boxes can get pretty pricey with long wait times from their makers. Several great sounding calls fall in the medium price range and some in the lower spectrum. I would be glad to share my thoughts about any of the calls I have via a PM. Just be warned that all long boxes are not equal. Heck, that can be said about long boxes from the same callmaker. 

outdoors

IVE USED LONG BOX FOR A LOCATOR CALL . I DONT HAVE ALL THAT MANY BOX CALLS BUT I CAN
SAY THAT I HAVE TWO FROM PAUL :: http://www.paulscalls.com/
THAT I HAVE HAD GOOD RESAULTS A FEW MONTHS AGO I SENT HIM SOME OLD GROWTH RED WOOD
AND HE MAD ME TWO CALLS WITH WHAT I SENT HIM LONG AND HIS STANDARD SIZE CALL THATS SOUND REALY GOOD CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT . .    :icon_thumright:
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CHOICE
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

paboxcall

Quote from: hunter22 on December 25, 2014, 07:43:13 PM
I guess I have around 75 long boxes from most of the callmakers out there. I have some that are truly outstanding and some that I am not sure would make good fire wood. Some long boxes can get pretty pricey with long wait times from their makers. Several great sounding calls fall in the medium price range and some in the lower spectrum. I would be glad to share my thoughts about any of the calls I have via a PM. Just be warned that all long boxes are not equal. Heck, that can be said about long boxes from the same callmaker.

That's an awesome opportunity gobblerjim! 

I'd add Ralph Snodgrass to the list, and if you can pick up a Billy Bush second hand, I would highly suggest you do so!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

hunter22

Ralph Snodgrass makes an awesome sounding longbox at a very, very, reasonable price. I have killed gobblers with calls I got from him.

Britton40

gwa

I would do some research and get a call that is truly handmade and tuned.
Some guys are into the CNC age and really do not know how to make a good consistent call time after time. You may get a good one, you may not.

Denny

hunter22

Politely well said Denny. That is what I was trying to say with my statement about some calls I have bought not making good kindling. But like a great callmaker who truly makes them by hand and only makes a few a year told me, "If a guy can turn out 500 calls a year he is bound to get a few good ones in the bunch." Unfortunately these are the ones that go to Nationals. I think the others get sold.

M Sharpe

I would contact Russell Beard, BeardHunter Turkey Calls. I've heard every one he has built for this year and they are some fine ones!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Gobblerjim

Thanks fellas I really appreciate in the info.

silverspur

I agree that a good hand made paddle call is a good tool, spring and fall. Put the time in research on call makers and their sound and see if it is the sound you like for the turkey's in your woods.
To me, spending a few more dollars on a hand craft call is worth the investment and the reward at the end of the day
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

hunter62

Il make you one that works pm sent