OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DIY Kansa rio

Started by daymude7288, December 18, 2014, 01:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daymude7288

Hello everyone I am Active Duty military and am currently stationed in Missouri and have killed several public land birds the last few years.  I am looking for any help I can get on a public land Kansas Rio hunt.  I only have one week to hunt so getting pointed in the right direction would be a huge help.  I am not asking where your secret spot is or anything like that.  Any help you guys can offer will mean a lot to me. Thanks in Advance.

alclark2

Get on Kansas.gov and start reading on the regulations, zones, etc... A lot of people have success on the WIHA (walk in hunting access properties). If I still have a week of vacation, I'm planning to make this trip also.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

stinkpickle

Kansas publishes a WIHA atlas (available online, too) every year that's very helpful.  You should be able to find birds almost anywhere in the eastern 2/3rd's of the state, I'd think.  Some spots may have had bad hatches, though.  I usually concentrate on the north-central and northeast parts of the state, staying at least several hours away from Kansas City.

VA_Birdhunter

Daymude7288.....I can't help you any on this....but wanted to wish you the best and thank you for your service!!!  God bless and Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

daymude7288

redjones

For true Rio's make sure you hunt the western 2/3 rds of the state,there are rio's in the eastern part of the state but lots of eastern birds,along with hybrid eastern-rio birds.
Public ground can be good but knocking on doors is also a very good way to go.

Good Luck.........Greg

Semper Fi

mgm1955

You can often pick up the atlas at any sporting goods store. I live in SW MO and can find them almost any where. Then you can throw it in your truck.

firedup

I would 2nd or 3rd the WIHA'S.  Have gotten into birds doing that before.  The KS site is pretty good and you can download everything you need.  But it does take some homework.  Pick a location to stay and then look for as many opportunities as you can within hunting distance.  Don't put all you eggs into one WHIA basket.  Some of the small overlooked ones can be a great way to fill a tag.  ;)

SinGin

Fort Lenord Wood? Check out around Salina, it's right on I-70 and should be far enough west to getaway from Easterns. We have shot a couple of hybrids though.

opster246

I did the DIY trip 2 years ago and shot birds on WIHA.  Camped at Lovewell State Park - good concentration of WIHA's in the area.  One of the Toms was a hybrid - other was a Rio.  You can download an app for a smartphone for the WIHA's - real helpful!  It's all on the KS DNR page.  Good luck and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! Do you know the dates you will be going?

daymude7288

Haven't decided on the dates yet.  Kind of torn between early archery or late into the shotgun season. I don't want to overlap the dates of the Missouri season. So Early April or mid-May.

stinkpickle

Quote from: daymude7288 on December 21, 2014, 01:25:39 PM
Haven't decided on the dates yet.  Kind of torn between early archery or late into the shotgun season. I don't want to overlap the dates of the Missouri season. So Early April or mid-May.

Early April can be a real toss-up weatherwise.  I usually wait until May.