turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy questuon

Started by Mtn Gobbler, December 17, 2014, 11:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtn Gobbler

I want to buy new decoys for this spring. Don't mind paying for a good decoy but I want something that is easy to carry and quick to set up. What should I be looking at?

Tom

mgm1955

Dave Smith Decoys are the best IMO. Expensive but incredibly lifelike. Not collapsible but come with a carry sack with shoulder strap. Stakes secure in the body of the decoy so they won't get lost and makes setup quick and easy. Have had turkeys go crazy with jake and hen spread, working over the jake for more than 30 minutes while I filmed and finally shot. Many other good ones out there as well.

VA_Birdhunter

DSD decoys look amazing!  However the draw back for me is there not collapsible.  I know they come with a carrying bag but it just doesn't work for me in the mountains having to carry them that way...especially since I've already got plenty to carry now.  A good friend of mine uses them with a lot of success on field set ups.   I went with the Avian-x Breeder hen that I think looks great also....not as good as the DSD but not far off...and its collapsible which was the deciding factor for me.

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

2eagles

Avian-x Breeder hen - yes,sir! So realistic I had a stray dog attack mine last spring. The decoy survived and the dog ran off.

vaturkey

Vaturkey

vaturkey

Vaturkey

davisd9

Nothing wrong with DSD, but you said easy to carry and quick to set up.  With that criteria I would go with the Avian-X decoys.  Any of the hens are great looking.  They deflate and take no time to get back inflated and up.  The DSD are hard bodied.  If you are just setting up in a field and not moving a good bit then go DSD, but if you are going to be moving then Avian all the way.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Never had any issue with any of that personally. Would think carrying a non-collapsable decoy would make that trek a bit more difficult as well. If he is close I am not setting up a decoy anyhow.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: gwa on December 18, 2014, 10:03:34 AM
You guys say about wanting collapsible have not hiked to the top of a hill and have a turkey gobble close by and you need to do a quick set-up..... so now you're out of breath from the hike, you dig your decoy out and you have to blow it up THEN you got your mouth call in or trumpet call and gonna make some nice subtle yelps......
Good luck.....

Denny

gwa....I live in the heart of the Appalachian mountains trust me I know what climbing mountains and hills are about (I don't mean that in a disrespectful way) but I still would rather have a collapsible/inflatable decoy any day.   If I can't get the decoy out then I can't and have killed many with out them...for me it's all about mobility.  But that is me and not everyone see's it that way.

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSLAM95

I'll stick with the DSD dekes every day of the week when I am using a decoy!
If I'm on the move I seldom use a decoy but for the most part I bow hunt and don't move around much and therefore want the most realistic decoy I can get.
Plus the DSD is the only the decoy made right here in the USA!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

daymude7288

Never used DSD but have Avian-X decoys and can carry 2 fairly easy.

stinkpickle

Quote from: gwa on December 18, 2014, 10:03:34 AM
You guys say about wanting collapsible have not hiked to the top of a hill and have a turkey gobble close by and you need to do a quick set-up..... so now you're out of breath from the hike, you dig your decoy out and you have to blow it up THEN you got your mouth call in or trumpet call and gonna make some nice subtle yelps......
Good luck.....

Denny

This is why I still use an old featherflex...and when I don't use it, it makes a decent pillow.  ;)

Mtn Gobbler

Quote from: GSLAM95 on December 18, 2014, 01:12:20 PM
I'll stick with the DSD dekes every day of the week when I am using a decoy!
If I'm on the move I seldom use a decoy but for the most part I bow hunt and don't move around much and therefore want the most realistic decoy I can get.
Plus the DSD is the only the decoy made right here in the USA!

This looks great but I hunt in the mountains of east TN and am on the move a lot. That's one of the things I enjoy best about turkey hunting I can go make things happen. I get enough of setting in one place deer hunting. Sounds like the Avain-x decoys will work best for the way I hunt.

Thanks
Tom

VA_Birdhunter

MTN Gobbler....I'm not far from you.  I hunt the mountains of southwest Virginia and the state of West Virginia.  Hunting the mountains and steep hollers is why I have chosen to go with the Avian as well.   However if I hunted fields a lot I would give DSD a serious look.  I also get the same enjoyment out of hunting the mountains as you stated...running and gunning I love it!! 

God Bless & Merry Christmas

GSLAM95

Quote from: Mtn Gobbler on December 18, 2014, 07:44:48 PM
This looks great but I hunt in the mountains of east TN and am on the move a lot. That's one of the things I enjoy best about turkey hunting I can go make things happen. I get enough of setting in one place deer hunting. Sounds like the Avain-x decoys will work best for the way I hunt.

Thanks
Tom

Good luck with whatever choice you make to "make things happen" as you definitely need confidence in whatever equipment choices you make. 

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.