OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870

Started by Sampsta, December 09, 2014, 11:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sampsta

So was going to buy the 870 get an extra full choke . Use this as a deer turkey combo.

How does the patterning go for this gun and what range has anyone been seeing

Just curious before I buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Gun patterns well it has more than enough capabilities out to 40 yards.  Jellyhead .660, IC .665, Remington Ventilator (not sure of constriction) and Hevi Choke .662 seems to be good combos for most.  Hevi Shot #6 or #7, Longbeards #5s, or Federal Turkey Thug #5s should do well.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Sampsta on December 09, 2014, 11:17:52 AM
So was going to buy the 870 get an extra full choke . Use this as a deer turkey combo.

How does the patterning go for this gun and what range has anyone been seeing

Just curious before I buy

An 870 is always a good choice. I'd recommend that you consider a 26" barrel for that gun. If you will be shooting slugs for deer, either an improved cylinder or rifled choke will work well. There are several turkey chokes that do well with those guns. You may be interested to know that I'll be evaluating some 30+ choke configurations, using Rem-Choke guns as well as all the other thread types. The initial evaluation will be with 3" Winchester Long Beard shells with 1.75 oz of #6 lead shot. You may find that information to be helpful. It will be published as soon as my work is completed but well in advance of the 2015 spring turkey season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Sampsta

Sounds good I can't find turkey loads for my 20 ha any more deer slugs are still avail but getting slimmer