OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Long Beards

Started by VA_Birdhunter, December 05, 2014, 08:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

I've been seeing some large groups of gobblers the past few weeks ranging from jakes to long beards.  I watched several fight around yesterday evening for a bit.     This is for sure a tease since I still have a little over 4 months before I can hit the spring woods.  I love to see them and see that the population seems to be doing well.  I was able to watch several groups of poults this summer and it appears there was a good hatch.

At the first of January I will head down to VA to put my cameras out on the property I hunt down there...even though that's all I will be able to do it still gets me even more amped up for season!  I fight the addiction year around and hold of watching any DVDs until mid to late December but I didn't make it this year....I've been watching turkey hunting DVDs daily since the last week in November and as soon as the new Primos DVD comes out it's I'm all over it (it's a tradition for me to buy it every year) the addiction and fever has overtaken me!!  My two little boys 4 & 6 are ate up with it too and love to watch them with me.   A lot of nights they will go to sleep watching them in there room....they will come and get them out of my dvd case when I'm not around.

I love grouse hunting no doubt anyone can tell it's a true passion, the hunting, training, and raising my setters....but so is spring gobbler and I can't wait.  Oct. and Nov. has been flying by but I fully expect the breaks to start being applied by the end of December and once grouse season closes in February time will creep by.   This year me and my buddy and some other guys will start the season off in SC,  then I'll be heading to VA for their opening week with good buddy again hunting a few days  as well Lord willing,  then finish up in WV.  I'm trying now to plan a hunt in 2016 at the latest 2017 to FL then out west the following year.  Some people think I'm crazy but I can't help it I have gobbling fever all year!!! 

God Bless and Marry Christmas
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

mgm1955

I can sympathize completely!! Good luck this spring!!

Old Timer53

Know the feeling well !!
24/7..... 365

Looking forward to hearing owls. whippoorwills . frogs. crows .hen tree yelps and that first gobble !!  Be great having a bright moon and calm a.m .

Good luck this hunting season !!

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: Old Timer53 on December 05, 2014, 10:51:52 PM
Know the feeling well !!
24/7..... 365

Looking forward to hearing owls. whippoorwills . frogs. crows .hen tree yelps and that first gobble !!  Be great having a bright moon and calm a.m .

Good luck this hunting season !!

Couldn't of said it any better,love them owls and whippoorwills

Herb McClure

Herb McClure

My friend, I like you have been caught up in this turkey madness for almost six decades. Grouse hunting was special too. Used it for scouting and dog companionship. However, I got over the just killing stage after about thirty-years of doing so. The late Leon Johenning taught me that I could hunt all year with a camera; not necessary on the turkeys you plan to hunt come season. I understand fully, because I have been there, the want to kill. It's just as I got much older, I learn that the sport can be enjoyed; without killing ever turkey in the woods.

herb mcclure 

VA_Birdhunter

Herb....the best part of turkey hunting is the experience!  Whether I walk out with one over my shoulder or leave him for another day and battle is all the same to me...I love it!  I love getting to watch and hear my Lord and Savior wake up the spring woods every morning he allows me to experience it!!    I also get great joy taking others hunting especially kids and get to take several different people every year.  I've been apart of and called in several first time birds for others and hope to do it again this spring!  This year I will be doing some videoing mostly self videoing and I'm sure I will send a few running but that is ok with me....I've wanted to do it for along time and this will make my 24th yr and a very welcome addition to this passion I love so much!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cohutta Strutter

To be honest, the times I've been on stand deer hunting this year it wasn't the deer I was really thinking about...Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

Herb McClure

VA Birdhunter
Your are a great person, for how you have shared you long time in the turkey world with others, and may our Lord bless you and give you many, many more seasons to enjoy your passion. My apologies for not finishing my earlier thoughts on my original post;of making pictures of wild turkeys; it was because of time. I had to quite and hurry to a nursing home to be there for a sister-in-law; who I care give to; at 8:AM. You can see that I was late by the first post time.

Yes, making your own video's of turkeys to share are real enjoyable. I have been doing this since 1970 and it was old Kodak 8mm film, which was all there was to make movies. Then the cam-coder's came along.

Recording gobblers that you call in strutting to within 10 to 15 yards; are thrilling and then showing your boys the DVDS, which you have made is tops. When one shoots a gobbler as soon as he is in gun range, it's over; but with a camera you continue to enjoy and learn the finer things of being a turkey man!

Like I said, all of this picture making was instilled in me by the late Leon Johenning of Lexington, VA. I had many phone call conversation with him in the 60's .  His booklet, "The Turkey Hunter's Guide" is my number-one choice of turkey writings, which one does not ever hear mention when talk is about turkey hunting books.

Thanks for your sharing and your enthusiasm about turkeys.
Regards, herb mcclure

nativeks

Bring on the spring. Gonna put in a clover food plot where this picture was taken.

VA_Birdhunter

Natives....that looks like a good place to put one!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Funny you mention this now.  It's the middle of deer season here and here I've bought a new turkey gun this week and just ordered some shells for it today.  Oh yeh, got some good news from FL, drawn for first choice on the 2015 spring turkey draw Thursday. :blob10: And last week, a new, unopened turkey hunting video just appeared in my closet.  I have never seen it before and have idea where it came from.
I keep forgetting to ask my wife about it but I choose to take it as a sign! :OGturkeyhead:

Yes, we are addicted. :happy0167:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Tail Feathers on December 06, 2014, 07:23:03 PM
Funny you mention this now.  It's the middle of deer season here and here I've bought a new turkey gun this week and just ordered some shells for it today.  Oh yeh, got some good news from FL, drawn for first choice on the 2015 spring turkey draw Thursday. :blob10: And last week, a new, unopened turkey hunting video just appeared in my closet.  I have never seen it before and have idea where it came from.
I keep forgetting to ask my wife about it but I choose to take it as a sign! :OGturkeyhead:

Yes, we are addicted. :happy0167:

Tail Feathers....making a trip to Florida for an osceola hunt is a dream for me!!  Lord willing it will happen in the very near future!

I also can't wait for the new Primos turkey hunting DVD to come out....I've been checking it multiple times a week.  I know the new one was released last near near the end of December...I'll have that on the way ASAP when it come up for sale and also the new Mouth call Magic! 

God Bless