OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ocala WMA Florida

Started by davisd9, December 05, 2014, 09:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Got a buddy drawn for the Ocala WMA in Florida.  Was wondering if someone with some knowledge would answer some basic questions.  Just want to know about camping areas, population of turkeys, and quality of hunt.  Do not need any honey holes or VIP information, but neither would be turned down either.  Feel free to PM me.  Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

Here's a link to the FWC brochure on Ocala WMA.
http://www.myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/ocala/
The map will show you the locations of the primitive campgrounds. You'll need to bring everything with you, there are no facilities, other than primitive rest rooms (portapotties that aren't portable).
I haven't hunted Ocala in years. It has turkeys, but you'll need to scout and find where they are hanging out at. Actually the canoe idea isn't bad, because you can paddle along Lake George in the AM and listen for birds gobbling. Most people won't walk all the way down to the lake's edge, which in some areas is quite a trek.
Ocala is a large WMA, and let's in a large number of hunters. Those hunters will flock to the areas with turkey sign. A lot of Ocala is thick scrub brush and palmetto fields, which turkeys don't routinely hang around in. My advice to you is get there a few days ahead of your hunt, scout like crazy, including paddling the lakeshore at daybreak listening for gobbling, and find a place to leave the crowds behind.
Best of luck!

TURKEYWHACKER

Depending on which zone he drew, there could be 15,30,100 or 220 quota permits given out. My Dad and a buddy drew Lake Delancy.

davisd9

He drew the pipeline

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

M Sharpe

OOOOOH NOOOO!!!
Not the pipeline.......... :(

Just messin' with ya Donald!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

longbeards

Having hunted FL WMA last spring I suggest you try to find private land to hunt,,it was a friginn zoo onpublic!!

TRKYHTR

The last time I hunted FL I killed a turkey in the pipeline unit. You shouldn't have any trouble finding turkeys unless alot has changed in the last 10 years.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

davisd9

BigGobbler

ha ha ha   canoe is right pipeline its under water right now. people are going to be bunched up in there if it stays wet. camping not much during turkey season. the springs have hot showers and electric. at $20 a day cant beat it.plus you can rent a canoe and fish.