Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New member, novice turkey hunter....need LOTS of help

Started by Big Treble, September 29, 2014, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Treble

While, I have started my 35 year of hunting, I have never turkey hunted.  Not really a shotgun hunter, although purchased a 870 over 25 years ago to hunt turkey.  Drew tags on one of wisconsin first turkey hunt(modern era) and couldn't get off work to go. Never applied again.

I have mad the descission that I am now TAKING the time needed to enjoy my life, and want to hunt turkey. I have hunted whitetail, mule deer, bear, called coyotes and various other small game, virtually all with a rifle or bow, and nothing with a shotgun.  I live in SW WI, And always hunted by myself and have no mentors, (since my dad got sick in 1991)

Where do I start, what can I read? Looking for "Turkey Hunting 101" I guess.

Old Gobbler

:welcomeOG: -- Shannon

Plenty of good info here take a look and ask for pointers and you will be well on your way --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

alclark2

Welcome! It sounds like you have the "hunting" side covered. (Scouting, sitting still, etc.) First, pattern your shotgun. What kind of shotgun are you going to use? Second, practice calling. A lot. When calling in turkeys, less is often more.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Big Treble

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.  I will certainly ask questions if I cannot find them.

Look forward to learning quite a bit from the members here.

tomstopper

:welcomeOG: :wagon: Lots of good info on here. Your 870 will work fine with the rite choke (I would start with the Ventilator choke tube by Remington first) and shell combination. There are a ton of books for you to read and also a ton of YouTube videos on everything from scouting to calling. My suggestion would to buy a glass or slate pot call and just start learning how to do basic stuff like yelps, purrs, clucks, and cutting. If your deer hunting this fall I would look for roosting areas (droppings and wing feathers on the ground under larger trees), feeding areas (look for scratchings and droppings) which could be old logging roads, pipelines, fields (especially fresh cut corn fields this fall), oak ridges, etc. hope this helps you get started. Just look for flocks of birds in your area and don't be afraid to ask any questions on here bc there is so much knowledge on this site along with a bunch of people who will be willing to help you. Welcome to the addiction and good luck this fall and upcoming spring.

mgm1955

Welcome!! Getting a hold of some turkey recordings so you can hear what real turkeys sound like and the different calls the make will be very useful. Real Turkeys by Lovett Williams are CDs that I think you would find very helpful as you begin to learn to call.

Big Treble

Thanks again for the help and warm welcome.

I have ordered a box and slate call from the bargin cave at cabelas. These should give me the basics to practice with until I understand what I want or am looking for in a call.  I also had picked up a 3pk of HS mouth calls and have been using them on my commute nearly every day.  I'm starting to make some yelps, clucks and cutting that could loosely be confused with a turkey, LOL.

As far as the 870, I had my eyes on  a primos jellyhead, and a truglo magnum pro dot adjustable open sights. Would probably try the longbeard 5's to see what they do.

Am finding a lot of info online, it all must be true since it's on the interweb.

One question I have at this time that I can't find, is what triggers the breeding season?  I'm sure it has to do with weather, but ave seen no temp values anywhere.  This should give me a idea on which season to pick when i apply.

Tail Feathers

:wagon:
And while you're shopping, pick up a copy of a DVD called "So You Want to be a Turkey Hunter?".

It's great for starters.  Find a CD with real turkeys on it and try to make that call sound like them.  It's not rocket science but it sure is fun! :funnyturkey:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Spring Creek Calls

You are on the right track with your purchases. When you receive your calls start practicing and don't stop. Play them every day, all year long. Welcome!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021