turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Firearms and Ammunition

Started by allaboutshooting, September 07, 2014, 04:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I know that many of us have been following the recent activity in the firearms and ammunition industry. For a period of several years, all we seemed to see was one large company purchasing another smaller company. That went on for some time and the true ownership of any brand was sometimes hard to determine.

In the last few months, the trend has changed from one of acquisition to divestiture.

Companies are now interested in either selling some of the subsidiary companies or in at least one case, a major company is "spinning-off" its firearms, ammo and hunting related companies and will no longer be associated with them at all.

Many companies have grown over the last few years, not by increasing production but by purchasing other successful companies and hopefully adding to their profitability in the process. Capital spending for equipment to increase the ability to produce goods has been exceptionally low and many factories are operating with very old and in some cases, almost worn out equipment.

So, what does it mean if some of these companies are now selling off the hunting, firearms and ammo related portions? Does it bode well for us?

After record years of sales of both firearms and ammunition, should we expect to see a real slowdown in sales or just a return to more normal prices and availability?

The next few months should be interesting.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SinGin

I would say a lot of it has to do with who our next president is. Seems like a democract puts the scare in everyone. But for the life of me I can't figure out what the deal is with .22 ammo

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SinGin on September 07, 2014, 08:53:59 PM
I would say a lot of it has to do with who our next president is. Seems like a democract puts the scare in everyone. But for the life of me I can't figure out what the deal is with .22 ammo

There are lots of theories on why .22 ammo is in such short supply but regardless of why it has been, the supplies should be much better soon.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jblackburn

I talked with a guy from North Carolina who said 22 ammo is everywhere there!  I have not seen much where I have spent time over the past year (WA, MO, LA).  He is in the firearms industry, so I assume he knows what he is talking about.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Tail Feathers

Lots of hoarding going on with .22.  The big gun/ammo scare after Sandyhook, followed by the last U.S. lead plant closing along with the concerns of a huge ammo tax and the current prepper craze have all blended to create a perfect storm of buyers.

It will ease up in time.  Hopefully another big scare won't come along for a while.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

30_06

Quote from: jblackburn on September 09, 2014, 05:13:59 PM

I talked with a guy from North Carolina who said 22 ammo is everywhere there!  I have not seen much where I have spent time over the past year (WA, MO, LA).  He is in the firearms industry, so I assume he knows what he is talking about.
Not that much in western NC. I have to try to find it online, or have friends pick it up from the eastern part of the state....when they say it comes in.