turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New kid on the block

Started by nsporleder, August 26, 2014, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsporleder

Just want to say hello to all and tell you all how much I've enjoyed the site. Seems everyone tends to play nice on here.Tons of talented call makers and a wealth of info that I enjoyed already.
    I am an Indiana guy of almost 50 years now and have 2 sons,Hunter 16 and started driving this week(PRAY FOR ME) and Evan 26.He and his wife gave me my first grandchild Oliver about a year ago! Latest word is Pappa . It's good to be me!
    I started Turkey hunting in about 1994. Hooked on the first gobble. Love to travel and extend the hunting but haven't in a few years. Plans in the works to get back to western Oklahoma in 2015.
    As I got older I started thinking about ways to give back and share my passion for hunting with others. I found freedomhunt.com. Steve Griffey had started a deer youth hunt for kids with disabilities in central Indiana. I was invited up to help and when all the kids showed up it so touched my heart! I got to guide kids on their hunts the next two years. Most of the kids only got to hunt that one weekend a year. Got to know Steve pretty well over those few years and ask if he would give his blessing on bringing the kids down south in the spring to turkey hunt. I told him all he had to do was give his blessing and we would do the rest. I knew it was a lot to ask but he agreed and Freedom Hunt  "The Southern Swing" was born!
    Spring youth weekend 2009 we had about a dozen kids in camp and killed 3 birds. Tons of hours put in long before the kids even show up but our crew all lived through it and we learned from our many mistakes. With new knowledge, lots more help, great guides and better ground to hunt we have gotten better every year. In 2014 22 kids in camp harvest 16 birds youth weekend. Not bad for a day and a half of hunting!
   Never had a kid apply that we couldn't get out and hunt. We have more rigs and toys made up to make it all happen. You might be surprised the places a wheelchair can go! We have e few "Young Bulls" that guide not just old farts like me!

hunter22

mgm1955

tomstopper

:welcomeOG: :wagon: What your doing with the kids is great. I am sure they will never forget it.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions