News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My new Browning A5 3.5"!!!

Started by henro, July 23, 2014, 07:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henro

Quote from: allaboutshooting on July 23, 2014, 03:12:33 PM
Congratulations. It's really all about the bore but I'll be interested to hear how that new choke system works out for you. I know that JEB's makes chokes to fit that gun and shooters have had good success with them. Otherwise, I have not heard much about the new A5.

Thanks,
Clark

Have you seen any updated reviews with this gun that you could share choke-related?

henro

I had some time to see how my A5 patterns with the turkey loads I mentioned earlier yesterday. The POI is WAY off from POA on the gun so I had to go buy some Williams Firesights after... I called Browning about the issue as well and received terrible customer service. I asked if they could provide some insight as to what would cause the issue and all I received for answer was "I have no idea" and that turnaround right now to send them the gun is roughly 4-6 weeks... At roughly 40yds the patterns were all consistently about 18" to the left of POA and about 6-12" low. I've since swapped the shim in the stock to lower aim and cast off to the right but doubt this will correct much of it. I'll resight in with the Williams sights next week but I'll probably end up sending the gun back to Browning after turkey season. It sure would've been nice to receive any insight whatsoever as to why I need to send back my new $1500 shotgun for almost 2 months to them... I'm also going to test other chokes to see if the POA is consistent. I've also bought a Trulock PH .670 ported Turkey choke to try as well.

Here's the pattern shots for now from 42yds exactly with a 10.5" circle(all I had handy) using the Pure Gold .670 Turkey choke... You can see the black dot was POA vs where POI actually was. Shot stats are listed in the pics with Magnum Blend scoring the highest.  The temperature was 36 degrees fwiw.

Hevi Shot Magnum Blend 5,6,7 3.5" (159 hits in circle):

Hevi Shot Hevi-13 #6 3.5"(138 hits in circle):

Winchester Long Beard XR #5 3.5"(95 hits in circle):

Any insight on the gun issues would be appreciated...

henro

After speaking with William from Sumtoy on the phone today I will be sending him my gun to have the POA vs POI corrected.  He's also going to hook me up with one of his .675 constriction turkey chokes as well.  He was extremely helpful and informative over the phone, something Browning was far from.  He said he's handled a few new A5 models and all have shot to the left as well...

pb6603

I'm so glad i found this post. I'm having the exact same issue with the pattern from my new 3.5" A5 shotgun. Mine shot 9" low left on the first 3 different rounds. After putting the R1 shim in my gun I got the pattern to now just being 3 " low. Im using an Indian Creek .670 choke. Ive shot the following.

Indian Creek .670 Choke      
Sheel Type              Pellets in 10" on POA  Pellets in 10" best Pattern
Hevi Shot Magnum Blend 3.5"              104                                133
Hevi Shot-13 3.5 " #5                      83                                119
Long Beard 3.5" #5                      13                                110
Long Beard 3" #4                              31                                89
Federal 3" #5                              71                                71
Winchester Supreme 3" #5              66                                66

I also shot one of the Hevi shot 3.5" #5 out of a Pattern Master Code Black .675 choke with almost the same patter. (10 pellets less).

I'm a little disappointed in the amount of pellets per 10" circle from this gun. I can say it will kill the heck out of a duck. I made some shots this year my old browning gold would have never made duck hunting. BUT, it does not shoot a turkey pattern like my Gold did....

henro

Yeah according to William every new A5 he's handled has shot to the left.  It's pretty aggravating to hear this is a regular occurrence for a $15-1600 shotgun...  I'm hoping his choke will provide better results, as he stated it should when I spoke with him.  I'm shipping the gun out to him tomorrow.  I'll be really anxious to get it back before turkey season!  I can't believe all the game I've shot with it still being so far off at distance...

pb6603

Yeah with it being so close to turkey season I'm scared to send mine off till after season. The magnum blends are shooting good enough to kill a bird. Only 2 or 3 inches low with 133 pellets after I installed a different comb and cast shim. I just expected a better pattern than this especially with all the 200 + talk you see everyone saying on the internet. Long beards still shoot horribly out of my gun and i dont know really why. Guess i will stick to the expensive hevi shot. The cheaper turkey loads pattern like I'm trying to dove hunt.

Maybe the invector DS just doesnt shoot a good turkey pattern. But it kills the hell out of ducks......

boyhowdy

good luck....honestly I've duck hunted with 6 different people who had 3.5 a5's, out of those 5 had cycling issues...the one that didn't have issues I saw shot about 10 times....most issues I saw were with 3.5 inch shells

the good news for a5 owners is that any time I mention this no one except me has ran into anyone who has  had a problem with them

henro

Quote from: boyhowdy on March 27, 2015, 10:02:39 AM
good luck....honestly I've duck hunted with 6 different people who had 3.5 a5's, out of those 5 had cycling issues...the one that didn't have issues I saw shot about 10 times....most issues I saw were with 3.5 inch shells

the good news for a5 owners is that any time I mention this no one except me has ran into anyone who has  had a problem with them

Mine has had no cycling issues with 2-3/4" or 3-1/2".

mudhen

No cycling issues at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

jrtgobble

I have a Sumtoy .675 for my A5 3.5".  Killed one at 47 yards in Alabama with it last weekend using LB #6's.  I'd definitely talk with him on the forum about making you one one.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones whose POA is dead on with my A5.

henro

Quote from: jrtgobble on March 28, 2015, 12:06:44 AM
I have a Sumtoy .675 for my A5 3.5".  Killed one at 47 yards in Alabama with it last weekend using LB #6's.  I'd definitely talk with him on the forum about making you one one.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones whose POA is dead on with my A5.

He just recieved my gun this week for the POA vs POI correction and one of his chokes. I'll post an update when he gets to work on it. I hope it's soon!

jrtgobble

Hi, I know its been a year, but was just wondering if you had an update for us?  Did the Sumtoy choke correct things?

kcrebel

I have now successfully patterned a Browning Maxus and a Winchester SX3 Longbeard XR.   I have the Indian Creek Black Diamond choke tube and in both guns it was 15 or so inches low at 50 yards off a lead sled on my shooting bench no matter what rounds I shot through them.  I used the same tube so it could be the tube for all I know.  I shot Mag Blends, Winchester Longbeard XR 5 and 6's.  All 3.5" loads. 
I also patterned with the Carlson's Longbeard XR tube, HeviShot tube, Jeb's Tube, Kick's Gobblin Thunder tube.  With only the Winchester I patterned with the Briley tube they come with but did not shoot that tube in the Browning. 
My Maxus is a 26" Barrel and my best pattern by far and away was with the Carlson's Longbeard XR tube and Winchester Longbeard XR #6. 
The Winchester has a 24" barrel and did best with the Kick's tube and Winchester Longbeard XR #6.  Interestingly enough I shot a Hevi13 #6 through the Kick's tube that patterned so well with the LB #6 and it was awful.  No explanation other than it did not like that combo. 
Reason for posting this info is that it makes me think your POI issues are choke related? 
Out of the 6 tubes I shot only the IC shot low in both guns.  All others were on at 50 yards. 
I know IC makes great products.  Too many guys are running them to think otherwise.  Fwiw this was my second IC tube.  The first one would not thread into the Maxus barrel as it was too large.  The one I have now threads all the way down but still shoots low. 
Hope this helps.  I would be curious as well to hear what happened with your gun?

Dr Juice

Quote from: henro on March 18, 2015, 10:13:16 AM
Need to update this thread as I've bought more chokes and will be patterning the gun very soon with a few different turkey loads.

My collection of chokes now includes:
Pure Gold Turkey .670
Patternmaster Anaconda Long Range .700
Kicks Buck Kicker Full .702
Kicks Vortex Modified .725
Kicks Vortex Improved Cylinder .732
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported IM .715
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported M .720
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported IC .730
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported SK .735

I will compare patterns of the following turkey loads:
Hevi Shot Magnum Blend 3.5"
Hevi Shot Hevi-13 3.5" 6s
Winchester Long Beard XR 3.5" in 5s and 6s

If I have time I will also compare the following buckshot loads out of the Anaconda and Buck Kicker chokes:
Federal Vital Shok 3.5" 00 Buck 18 pellets 1100fps Copper Plated
Remington Express Buckshot 18 pellets 1125fps
Winchester Supreme 3.5" 15 pellets 00 Buck 1450fps Copper Plated
First thing I have to say: what a beauty. The browning A5 is my favorite shotgun since I was a teen. I have an older model for pheasant and small game hunting. Secondly, that is some investment in chokes you have there. I can sense the serious attitude you have to make that beauty into an ultimate turkey slaying machine. Good luck with it and i look forward to your After Action Reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk