turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Remington 3.5" shells

Started by Oconeeguy, July 20, 2014, 10:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oconeeguy

Found 2 boxes of these Remington shells for $10. Each at a sportsman's outlet in South Georgia. I have never seen these shells before and am curious if anyone else knows the age and how these shells performed.

n2deer

gatrkyhntr70

They were good shells back in the days.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

R AJ

Those are late 70's  or early 80s shells best I recall. One of their best for me was the duplex 4x6 in a 3" shell. The ones you have may be the dark olive green with "black" brass.

Oconeeguy

RAJ you are correct. Olive shells. I have 2 boxes of these things & 2 boxes of old Federal 3.5" shells in the blue/gold box. When the weather cools off a little in the fall, i plant to pattern these with a 870 SM & jellyhead .665. Should be interesting.

I dont guess there is any danger in shooting 30 yr old shells though ??

R AJ

The only danger is if you are in front of the muzzle :turkey2:

No problem at all and as long as the brass looks good and the shell chambers you are good to go.
In this case with shells on the shelf they will go bang. It may seem crazy but this shell will probably perform better with the full or extra full choke.

DC1.

Quote from: RAJ on July 20, 2014, 08:46:59 PM
Those are late 70's  or early 80s shells best I recall. One of their best for me was the duplex 4x6 in a 3" shell. The ones you have may be the dark olive green with "black" brass.

1988 was the year that Mossberg introduced the 3 1/2 guns and Federal introduced the 3 1/2 shells to go along with it. 

stinkpickle

I bought my 835 in 1990 (I think?), and these were the first 3 1/2" shells I bought for it.  I'm not sure how old this box was when I bought it, but it still had the "New Turkey Loads" logo on it.  They were only available in #4s and #6s, no #5s.  I shot up all the #6s, and they worked just fine.  BTW, they were only $6.50 per box back then.   LOL!

Gooserbat

I had some of those in 3"#4.   Shot awful!!!  :funnyturkey:
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Those shells were made around 1990. 

surehuntsalot

shot a few boxes of these in #6 back in the 90's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase