turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many Pounds For Mechanicals

Started by SinGin, March 18, 2011, 03:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

I was wonder how many pounds I need my bow at to open up the Rocket Hammer Heads. I normally shoot 70# but I have heard to reduce the poundage for turkeys. Any suggetions??

fallhnt

I shoot 70# with a 27in. draw length.It all depends on your kenetic energy.Turkeys are tough if hit in the wing butt.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

SinGin

So zipping an arrow plum through a turkey is as good as half penetration and having it stuck in him?? I have heard and read that both ways are OK and I'm just trying to figure out what would be best. Plan B would be to have my buddy run backup with a 12 gauge and put him down for good as soon as I stuck him. But that's just Plan B

fallhnt

You won't need plan B.At 70# I have arrows stay in them still!Some will pass through too but with a well placed shot you will win the day.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

savduck

I have shot Rockets for years.....I still have some originals before the sold out....I think twice now. I have heard quality has gone down.

I like shooting 70 lbs, but my last Diamond i kept set at 62....I was getting complete pass throughs with the Rockets at that weight on 130 to 150 lb deer.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

I would not reduce poundage for turkeys. I get more pass throughs on deer than turkeys.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: drenalinld on July 12, 2011, 07:01:09 AM
I would not reduce poundage for turkeys. I get more pass throughs on deer than turkeys.

X2

I can't say way, but that does seem to be the case.