OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2014 VA hatch

Started by strutnva, June 22, 2014, 09:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

I have yet to see any little ones and haven't heard of many folks seeing little ones?  What are you guys saying the hatch looks like in your area of VA or any other state for that matter? I'm in south/central VA.

barry

None here in Bedford so far. A buddy of mine has a big beef cattle farm and he said he hit 27 nests mowing hay this time, about double the # he normally hits

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Not a poult yet.  With the flash floods and early hay cutting I'm not optimistic.

strutnva

Are you guys thinking that the hens were sitting later in the year which resulted in more nests being hit by guys cutting hay?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

The hens really didn't start to sit here until after the season.    Most of the farmers here really started haying heavily about 3 weeks ago.

The heaviest rains also came during the end of May through mid June.  I'm definitely concerned but it's just a factor that is beyond our control.

Beard Collecter

After a tremendous hatch last year in Fauquier county Va, this year looks like it is going to be terrible. Too much rain and flooding. I saw 5 hens this morning, all brood-less. They were late this year, so maybe we will get a few late hatches, but I am not holding my breath. :z-twocents:

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Beard Collecter on June 22, 2014, 06:21:24 PM
After a tremendous hatch last year in Fauquier county Va, this year looks like it is going to be terrible. Too much rain and flooding. I saw 5 hens this morning, all brood-less. They were late this year, so maybe we will get a few late hatches, but I am not holding my breath. :z-twocents:

I'm in Fauquier, as well.

vaturkey

Seen about 8-10 poults today here in Bedford  Co. First ones I've seen this year ! Also seen a strutter today !  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey  :newmascot:
Vaturkey