turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just not sure i should switch

Started by wvmntnhick, June 18, 2014, 09:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I know this has been hashed out numerous times but I feel the need to get data from guys that have either made the transition out refuse to do so for one reason or another. I've got a red dot waiting in the safe, it just needs a new home. I've got a dedicated turkey gun that needs some kind of sighting system. I'm torn between using the red dot I've got or putting a set of fiber optic sights on it. If you've switched from one to the other please tell me why. I like the red dot (and have used it several years) but am not opposed to fiber optics. Thanks in advance.

eddie234

I couldnt decided either. My solution was to get another turkey gun and have one set up with fiber optics the other one got a scope.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

deadbuck

this past spring is the first year I tried a scope on a shotgun. Used a cheapo 3x9x40 scope I had laying around to make sure I liked the concept before buying a real shotgun scope. After hunting one season I see that i never want to shoot a bead again. However, my dilemma became should I buy a good scope or a good red dot. I just bought an Aimpoint red dot and think it is the way to go.

mikejd

I have a few setups some with red dot and some with front bead and some with fiber optics.
for me I prefer front bead over all of the rest.

For me rurkey hunting is very different from deer hunting. I know that the likelyhood of my deer rifle getting banged around on my way to my stand and knocked off zero is not likely.

However by the time I lay my bead down on a turkeys head I have sometimes
traveled dozens of miles beating and banging as I go. So that said when that bead is on ol big boys head he is going to fall.

Now if I was say a fixed blind hunter were all you do is walk in and setup I would opt for a red dot.

Twowithone

Put a Simmons red dot on my turk gun yrs ago and I havent looked back. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

SCGobbler

I have never used anything but a bead or fiber sights.

I am with MikeJD, I am hard on my turkey gun.  Deer rifle, I treat like a baby for some reason.  Most would say its because I'm not a real deer hunter.

My turkey gun, takes a beating I'm telling ya, mud in barrel, dropped, dragged backwards while stalking, etc...  and its uuuugly!  if anyone remembers what the old realtree gray looks like.

It is the first edition of the Mossberg 835 that had Realtree camo, not the regular green, brown, black pattern.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

wvmntnhick

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm rough on turkey guns but then I'm rough on all of them to be honest. I squirrel hunt with dogs so my squirrel gun gets best around a bit, we drive deer heavily in the late season and I cover lots of ground even when we're not so that gets best around too. It's not the fear of knocking it around that bothers me because that's going to happen regardless of the situation. I've shot birds with both fibers, beads and dots and like them all in their respective rights. The older fibers I had were low profile. I looked at some that were on a versa max the other day and didn't care much for them as they were way too high for my taste. I think that's what really got me to wondering. It's the right of covering up too much of the bird that bothers me.

outdoors

YUP , SINCE U ALREADY HAVE IT TRY IT , BOX OR TWO  ,,,,,  :fud:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

the Ward

Switched over to  red-dots on my turkey guns a couple years ago and love them. I really like the simplicity of a bead/f.o. sights but my eyesight just won't allow me to line them up anymore. So for me a red-dot is the next best option,and takes care of any poi/poa issues with different chokes and loads.No problems with reliability or  durability so far with the ones I currently have.

J-Shaped

I've used a scoped rig almost exclusively for many years. For me, it works great and I've yet to get a in a situation where I felt handicapped because of it. I've also got rigs with fiber optic sights and am in the process of setting up one with a Burris FastFire 3 for next spring. They all have their place.

But to concerns about knocking off the zero on optics, that can happen just as easily with the cheap fiber optic sights as it can a scope/red dot. I'm as rough on my equipment as about anybody because I believe in using it for it's intended purpose. With that in mind, my advice, regardless of the option you choose, is do NOT skimp on the mounting system. I cringe when I see folks put an expensive set of optics on a gun (shotgun or rifle) in cheap mounts. And even if you choose the fiber optic route, get the best you can afford with a solid mounting system. There are some great options on the market and some really bad ones as well.

In the end end, it boils down to what works best for your situation and eyesight. My Dad used to have issues with sights as his eyes began to change. I switched him over to a scope about 10-12 years ago and it made a world of difference for him. A lot of my buddies have converted over to scopes or some type of optics in the last 10-15 years, but even at that, many of us still shoot other rigs with sights.

I'd say that if you're familiar with the red dot you have, put it on a solid mounting platform and give it a try.

WildSpur

You can always try a ghost ring fiber optic sight.   Kinda the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

wvmntnhick

Quote from: WildSpur on June 18, 2014, 01:56:57 PM
You can always try a ghost ring fiber optic sight.   Kinda the best of both worlds.

I'm familiar with aperture and ghost ring sights but I'm not sure how it becomes the best of both worlds. I'm curious to hear more about this as I had considered that route previously. I occasionally use a peep sight while driving deer when I know my shots will be close. Shot several ar platforms that had the ghost ring sights but I'm not sure that I'm in love with those just yet. They just seem a bit large for me to get any kind of precision and that scares me at close range because this thing patterns real tight inside of 20 yards. Could totally see me throwing up an air ball and I'm not sure my former basketball coach would be real proud of that. Lol

WildSpur

For me the downside to rifle sights are the rear blade.   I like visibility.  With a ghost ring you can keep everything centered and not have to do a 6 o'clock hold on target. Though not as good as a scope or red dot you still get a little visibility with the rear aperature.  Plus you will not have to worry about fog, dead batteries, etc.  I am a red dot fan but my "beater" now has a ghost ring for these reasons.  Now with that in mind the front fiber is alot bigger than a .019 archery sight so for me it's 40 or less...that's the precision dowside.

Cluck more, yelp less

sixbird

If you decide on a front bead sight, the one to get is the Tom Knapp Easyhit sight. They make one that's fairly small (2.5 mm). It tapes on the rib with 3M tape (it'll stay on). I had one on my gun for years. It is simplicity. That's what I liked about it. I'm now shooting a FF III and am REALLY happy with it (used it one season and two 14 round sight in sessions). It's way more precise than a bead and seems to be durable...

Snoodsniper

I switched to a red dot about four years ago after a buddy recommended trying one. I will never go turkey hunting without one again. The field of view is way better than with a bead or fiber optics IMO. Never tried a scope and have no desire to. The only way the ffiii will be removed from my gun is if they make a ffiiii !!