OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy comparison...

Started by Marc, June 08, 2014, 09:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

While looking for some goose decoys recently, I stumbled on to a company called Deception decoys.  Similar but a bit stiffer material from my understanding, with a similar price point.  Fairly realistic looking decoys, and Deception decoys come in either a Rio or Eastern paint scheme...

Currently, I own a DSD leading hen, and it looks darned nice.  I got the leading hen, cause it also looks like a breeder if set directly on the ground without a stake.

Looking at these two decoys from the picture, they both look nice...  If I needed a decoy today, I might go based off of price and availability...  I think that DSD might still hold the edge, but in my opinion, it is great to see a bit of competition out there.

What do you all think?  And are there any other realistic durable decoys out there on the market?

DSD Leading Hen:

DSD Upright Hen:

Deception Decoy standard hen:

Deception Decoy Boss Hen:

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

albrubacker

I really like the looks of the DD Boss hen. But will admit I think the DSD wing shading is better!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Dtrkyman

dsd looks much better, that is a nice decoy, but I bet it is not usa made like dsd.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Halfski

After mulling it over for a couple of years, I finally bought the DSD flock.  At first it was hard to explain to my turkey hunting buddies, as the DSD decoys are VERY expensive.  But after this year they want some too.  MAN, do they work!!!  All of the toms that saw my decoy flock this year came right in to the decoys.  (One of the toms came in with an "assist" from a live jake).  I will never go back to the cheapies! 

The first time I used them I had a live hen peck at both hen decoys.  The next day a jake thumped my jake decoy minutes after my friend took two shots at a tom (he got him on the second shot).  My friend has a DSD feeder, and he had a tom "dry hump" his decoy for about a half hour this year (he was tagged out at the time, and was just messing around). 

Fullfan

LOL I see they are over 100.00 also. You know what they say about a fool and his money...
Don't gobble at me...

beagler

I have two DSD's (upright hen and jake) but the others look pretty good as well. Hard to tell from pics sometimes.
Never Misses

Halfski

Do I know what they say about a fool and his money?  Not sure, but I do know what they say about the 7 toms that came into my DSD decoys this year.  I had 7 tags and filled em' all.  Is it because of my decoys?  No, but I am convinced they helped.

RMK

I like the color shading on the DSDs better IMO.

Marc

Quote from: RMK on June 11, 2014, 01:51:19 PM
I like the color shading on the DSDs better IMO.

I actually like the color and shading better on the DD decoys...  But the head looks considerably more realistic on the DSD's in my opinion.

I think in order to be truly competitive, DD will have to drop the cost by about $25 or so...  Or improve the quality (especially the appearance of the head)...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

DirtNap647