turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bowhunting turkey (no blind)

Started by Lukas929, June 06, 2014, 10:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas929

Anyone hunt this way or have a story to share? I will never turkey hunt from a blind but I am addicted to bow hunting. I have watched videos on YouTube of people doing it but the turkeys I hunt must be different from theirs; I'd never be able to get away with the movement they make. Let's hear what you guys got to say

TRKYHTR

I have killed 5 turkeys with a bow. None from a blind. This is just my opinion but turkeys aren't meant to be shot with a bow. Archery equipment is meant to bleed out it's quarry. But a turkey can fly and there is no blood trail. Way to easy to loose a turkey. The last turkey I shot with a bow flopped 3 times and popped up and ran off with a broken wing, never to be seen again. I told myself I would never shoot one with a bow again unless I am shooting for the head with one of those big bladed broadheads. Either cutt his head off or miss. JMO

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Lukas929

I can respect that. However with todays mechanical broadheads (I shoot Swhacker) with cutting diameters of 2"+, I would think if you kept shots within 20 yards and chose wisely that you could do it ethically through the vitals? After seeing what they do to deer an rabbits I would have a hard time believing a Turkey could get very far at all with just an average placed shot?

TRKYHTR

The last one I shot at was 8 yards. Believe me he died. I've seen them fly off with the arrow still stuck in them. I have killed a few animals with my bow so I'm not a rookie at it. Here is a really good video of doing it the right way if you are going to shoot with a bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONU_KjdgYA&feature=share&list=UUljcc2nb9dM4dDWcnlo-iug
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

I've killed 12 Spring long beards with bow. 7 from a blind, 5 without. I was 12 of 14 with bow shots. One clean miss and one flew off with arrow in it. As good as my gun average. Because my hunting days are much fewer now I don't hunt with the bow although without blind or dekes it is really fun. I don't ever want to shoot another animal from a blind with any weapon. Not the same for many reasons. Rage 2 blades are very very deadly.

It can be done without blind but opportunities will be far fewer. 

drenalinld

You can turn flips in a blind even wary Easterns in public land rarely notice.

guesswho

The first two I killed last year was with a bow, no blind or deke's.   One on public land. Just tried it because of some talk on another forum.  After I did it I picked up my shotgun and have no plans on shooting anymore with an arrow.  I personally think if your proficient outside a blind with a gun you should be able to kill them with a bow as well.  I'd estimate I could kill about 65% of the turkeys I kill with a gun, with a bow.   But I also feel turkey hunting is not an archery sport.    I'd rather shoot one against a tree with a gun than a hundred with a bow in a blind.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

snapper1982

Quote from: Lukas929 on June 07, 2014, 12:10:54 AM
I can respect that. However with todays mechanical broadheads (I shoot Swhacker) with cutting diameters of 2"+, I would think if you kept shots within 20 yards and chose wisely that you could do it ethically through the vitals? After seeing what they do to deer an rabbits I would have a hard time believing a Turkey could get very far at all with just an average placed shot?

Know of many birds never recovered by some very good bow shots and all of them with mechanicals. Yes even the rage. It really does not take much to loose a turkey. I have shot one bird with a bow and broke him down good on the spot. I am sure i will shoot another or 2 but they will be fall birds while deer hunting. I have to much money wrapped up in a turkey gun to leave it set idol.

Best of luck in your pursuit!

trkehunr93

I have shot at one turkey with a bow, years ago.  I prefer 300+ pellets flying at their head, not to say if given the chance I wouldn't tag one with my bow.  Just a shotgun nut!

J. Adams

Agree with most on here looks like, I went on a kick to try it out a few years ago, killed a couple with a blind, a couple without, missed a few, lost one.
I think it made me become more patient again, but other than that I will save the bow for deer most likely here on.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: guesswho on June 07, 2014, 12:05:30 PM
The first two I killed last year was with a bow, no blind or deke's.   One on public land. Just tried it because of some talk on another forum.  After I did it I picked up my shotgun and have no plans on shooting anymore with an arrow.  I personally think if your proficient outside a blind with a gun you should be able to kill them with a bow as well.  I'd estimate I could kill about 65% of the turkeys I kill with a gun, with a bow.   But I also feel turkey hunting is not an archery sport.    I'd rather shoot one against a tree with a gun than a hundred with a bow in a blind.

AMEN. I agree 100%

Old Gobbler

I've hunted turkeys without the use of a blind with a bow ,this was long before the advent of portable blinds - I'll tell you this , given the choice I would prefer a blind every time over not using one

I have to agree with Joe on his opinion on the lack of instantaneous kills with a bow I've shot in excess of 30 turkeys on public property and the cripples is what got me to quit the practice -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

wvmntnhick

Never shot one from a blind with archery equipment. All of my bow kills have been in the fall while going after deer. None from a blind. Most from a treestand but for two while either going to or coming from the stand. Hunting them without the aide of a blind would be quite tricky I'd imagine if you're calling because they are coming in looking for you. Just a thought but again, I've never tried it that way.

Lukas929

A lot of good opinions thanks! Anyone who bow hunts other quarry knows wounding game is inevitable if you do it long enough and I firmly believe with taking good clear shots within range you can successfully an quickly dispatch a turkey. That said, being that their is no "archery" season for turkey why not use your most reliable method. I guess I was just looking into making turkey season a little more challenging using a gun a lot of times just feels too easy. Maybe one of these seasons I will eventually be able to use my fall turkey tag during a deer bow hunt but I doubt I'll be taking my bow out in spring anytime soon.

crappieangler

AS mentioned opportunities are less, but if you get a fully committed bird you usually have time to wait for them to circle or strut facing away where you can draw.  Just speaking from my personal experience.