turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The fun of 20 gauge hunting

Started by 20ga.turkeyshooter, June 05, 2014, 11:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ga.turkeyshooter

Ever sense I started hunting I used a 12 gauge cause my grandad told me u couldn't kill a bird with anything less so I hunted with my dads tristar hunter mag and his stoeger m3500 and my grandads mossberg 835 and an old break action 243/12 gauge (not a savage ) then when I turned 11 I got a remington 870 20 gauge express magnum and I begged my grandad to take me hunting with it it was a lot lighter than the guns I've been using we where only out there for five minutes and I harvested a nice va gobbler at 15 yards ever sence I'll always pick a 20 over a 12 now I'm on the look out for a new 20 to start a 20 collection

Swampchickin234

I understand. I was able to take my first 20 ga bird ever this year.  It was with an old Ithaca semi auto. Needless to say, since season has been over, I've purchased 2 dif 20 pops(sold the mossy though) and have had an absolute blast playing with chokes and shells.  To say I'm hooked would be an understatement. I can't wait for 15 to role around and declare war with the popguns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

+2 ... I got on the 20ga kick real bad a few years ago. Once you start hunting with a 20ga.. you will likely never hunt with a 12ga again.  It just feels better, generally a lot lighter.   You hear this all the time on this forum.  20ga is all I hunt with now.
Plus.. with all the advancements in chokes and ammo over the last 15 years... do you really need a 12ga?  20ga today will outshoot any 12ga from 25 years ago..

cphill

I hunted for 11 years with a 12 then my wife wanted to start turkey hunting with me so I got her a nova 20 and after she killed a couple I seen real fast that a 12 ain't needed for turkeys . I hunted 1 more year with a 12 then sold it and got a 870 20 .I agree with  yall its lighter less kick (which is always a plus) and the ammo is cheaper. I will never go back to a 12 unless I need a turkey waterfowl combo gun then it will be a semi auto

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

20ga.turkeyshooter

I like to hunt waterfowl with a 20 to all u need is a full or a modified choke and kentfasteel my 870 20 is deadly out to 40 yards on ducks and geese

owlhoot

Taking my son with a 20 started me on the 20 kick. Watchin him knock them over with a 20 got me thinking about the 3 1/2" 12  :z-dizzy:                 I have been using a 20 for pheasant, dove and quail for years by then and patterning for turkey was fun. So why not.   Always a bit surprised at what the little poop gun could do!
Still keep and pattern  with a few 12's though.     Looking forward for some new 20 gauge loads soon.

High plains drifter

I got a real nice 23 pounder with a 20 gauge 4 years ago.I used 2 3/4 inch 4 shot.12 yard shot.I like the light 20 1100, 26 inch barrel.