OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DAMN IT!!!

Started by sixbird, June 02, 2014, 11:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Just shot the new 3", #5 Longbeard XR's through my Benelli...WOW!!! Only thing is, most of them hang up (don't eject all the way). Anybody else have that trouble? Using a .670 DND Haymaker...This is killin' me!

steinea286

I shot 3" 6's out of an M2 with a jellyhead and an undertaker with no issues. It throws a great KILLING pattern...2 birds this year, neither flopped...

COssman14

No problems out of my Benelli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

sixbird

Thanks gents...I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with having the forcing cone lengthened and polished. Seems like since I've had that done a few things have happened that never happened before. One is patterns went south, which I've addressed (patterns well now) and, with some ammo, the bolt doesn't stay open after last shot...Man, I wish I'd never done that!

WV Ridge Reaper

My buddy has no problems out of his M2 shooting the Longbeard 6s

Old Gobbler

Not saying the forcing cone caused your issues , but I will point out that the folks that espouse the virtues of this work-- forcing cone-- to your barrel ( pemenant & irreversible ) disappear quickly ( with your money )

The recoil will be best addressed by using a good after market recoil pad - ( selling point for those recommending the barrel work )

You might want to look into having the gun sent back to whoever did the work on it in the first place and see if they can correct the issues , or ask them to replace the barrel for a new one
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Snoodsniper

With the issues you are having I would guess there's a problem with the action. The m2 has had some cycling problems from what I understand even with heavy loads. Not saying the forcing cone isn't the issue but you should look at everything.

157buck

Had a buddy that tried the 3 inch LBs and had the same problem.  Finally figured out the the shells were a full 1/8th inch longer than any other 3 inch shell we put them next to. 

sixbird

O.G. The guy that did the work has a really good reputation and he's been accommodating.He sent me a choke to try to improve the patterns, which it did. He also went to bat for me with Benelli to replace the receiver shroud because the original one was so hard it couldn't be drilled and tapped. That being said the discussions we had revolved around improving the pattern. The pitch was that it wouldn't do anything degrading to the pattern. Afterwards the idea that results weren't favorable in a small number of the 24" bbls., which is what I have, was floated as to a reason for the poor performance...Not saying that they didn't try to help. Not saying that at all...It's just that if I had that tidbit of information before hand, I would have made a completely different decision. I was thinking of contacting them to see if either trigger work or lengthening the forcing cone could have caused the problem.
The recoil, according to the guy doing the work, was supposed to lessen. I can't say whether it did or not since most of my shooting has been done with different ammo than before the lengthening...Hunting recoil isn't problematic, it's just off the bench, which I expected, so that I'm not really concerned about...

sixbird

Buck...Is your buddies gun an SBE II? I'd buy that explanation if the gun I was shooting it out of was a 3" gun but this is a 3 1/2". I'd think even "long" 3" shells would cycle out of a 3 1/2". That and some of the hulls end up right at my feet, which they never did before the work. The LB's generally end up sticking out of the chamber, bolt clamped down on the brass. This is with recoil that feels like it's going to break something on my body! Should be PLENTY of residual energy to eject the shell...

157buck

No sir, he shoots an M2.  I'm like you, it shouldn't be a problem with a 3.5 inch gun.

srmturk

I've had the same issue with my SBE II.  Shooting Hevishot 3's in it and while not every time...several times it doesn't eject fully.  If I did need a follow up shot it couldn't be done.  No problems with lighter load 3's for grouse etc...but it will happen with those turkey loads.

sixbird

I called the outfit that did the work and they said it sounded like the recoil spring was weakening. They suggested a Wolf recoil spring so I have one on the way...Hopefully this will resolve the issue. I'll try to post when I find out if it mitigates the problem...

ltprod

Had the same problem in a m2 20 ga
Wolf spring fixed the issue

Spurcollecta

Are you shooting a sbe2 with a steady grip by chance?