turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tail display ?

Started by wisconsinteacher, June 01, 2014, 09:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Hey guys, I took one of my birds and skinned down the back to get more of the nice feathers and to try something different.  So far I have it boraxed and it is nice and dry.  I am wondering if there is a way I can cover the skin with something to stop it from rehydrating.  I was thinking about spreading hot glue over it to seal it up so when it is next to the wall, it will not make a mark.  My other question is about hanging it and attaching a board some how to the bottom to cover up the cut end and smaller under feathers.  I was thinking about taking a piece of barn board and making a half moon shape with the straight side down.  I could attach the beard and spurs to the board and let them hang by a string or something.  I would like to hang it tail up.

Please share your ideas and thoughts.

wvmntnhick

Looks good to me. Not sure about what to tell you on sealing it. As for beard and spur display, outdoor life magazine had a good idea on that in their "how to" issue earlier in the year. Cut the section of leg that has the spurs (about half inch or so on each side or whatever length you like). Drill the center out (I let some ants remove the marrow for me though) and run a leather lanyard through it. Wrap the end of the beard in thread (some type of shiny craft thread is what they used) and then use a clear epoxy on it. Can't recall how they attached it to the lanyard but it looked real neat. I'm going to do that with mine this year as soon as I figure out how to clean a fan sufficiently. Seems my previous attempts haven't gone so well yet. Always mess it up somehow.

bbcustomboxcalls

You could try something like this.  This mount is starting to look a little sad because I've been taking it to Sportsmens shows for the last few years and its getting pretty beat up. I guess its time to make a new one.
I use Borax to rub down the skin.

Bill

captpete

Here is what I did with the bird I shot this year. I used a fan display that holds 5 beards to cover the end of the cape. Then I cleaned the spurs and put them on a leather shoe lace with the beard from this bird along with the empty shell I used to take him. I then just nailed it to the wall and hung the leather over the head of the nail. The end of the cape just suits in the fan display...it's not attached to it.

datrip

Here is the fan display I created with a bird from last year. The barn wood is from a barn my grandfather built back in 1940 so it has special meaning to me. The shelve will hold future beards and I will run the spurs down the sides in the front. I am quite pleased with it.
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

captin_hook

Very nice guys. That barn wood display is top notch!

ncturkey

PM me your cell phone number and I will text you a picture of what would be perfect for your mount. Or I could email you it.