OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grandson's First Eastern Fast and Furious

Started by Mike Honcho, May 30, 2014, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

My 16 year old grandson Kolbi is a very good turkey hunter (took his first tom with me when he was 9).  He lives in a region with Rio Grande turkey and has not been able to come up and hunt Easterns with me due to school etc.
Well schools out and he spent a day with me recently but we only had time to hunt one afternoon.  On of the properties we hunt we spotted a nice tom fanned out and strutting on the east edge of a field along a creek. We were probably 400 yards away across a field on a hill scouting.  In the binocs he looked huge. I told Kolbi there was a chance he could backtrack and he'd have to walk over a half mile thru trees along another creek but I thought he could get to where I thought that tom would end up...southeast corner of the field where he would likely enter to roost for the evening.  Kolbi took my 935 equipped with Star Dot and 3 1/2" Longbeards and I handed him my Cody 6.5 One-sider box call and he headed out quickly knowing he had to get to that corner ahead of the tom.  The tom was slowly working his way that direction pausing to strut every few yards.   I headed back to the truck and drove to the other side of the section to another property we hunt.  I was scouting there about 15 minutes later when I head a single shot ring out...followed by a cell phone call...come get me grandpa...big tom down!  Kolbi had a long walk back to meet me, almost a half mile and it was hot, about 86 degrees and humid.  When I met up with him he was covered with sweat but had a big grin on his face....his first Eastern bird down.  He had gotten to the corner of the field where two creeks meet and stayed about 50 yds inside the trees, made a couple of soft yelps and sure enough he saw a red head coming to him at 40 yds. He got the 935 up and closed the deal at 25 yds.  The tom was a nice one, 11" beard, 1" spurs and I estimate about 21lbs.  We didn't have time to weigh him since it was hot and we need to dress him out quickly. Had a nice fan, measured 31" across.

captin_hook

That's a great story. Congrats to your grandson!

Gooserbat

Well Done, Always Good to see the next generation out hunting.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

trackerbucky

Congrats!  I'm sure you're justifiably proud.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

eddie234

Very nice. Congrats to both of you.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

tomstopper

Rokhal07

Snoodsniper

Sounds like you have one heck of turkey hunter there!

Marc

Great story and pics...

Must be a good kid...  I know if I were back east during turkey season (with a place to hunt), the rest of the relatives would be left to the wayside... :P
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

WiLL B

owlhoot