turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need 20 gauge suggestions for wife

Started by stringtown, May 29, 2014, 06:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringtown

My wife grew up around a family that hunted and is now obviously married to an addict.  She has decided she wants to go on one trip a yr, or pretty regular anyway, somewhere we can hunt/vacation.  Anyway, I need to purchase her a shotgun and was looking for suggestions from anyone that has experience w/ women turkey hunting.  thanks

gobbler777

Generally, a semi auto produces the least felt recoil. Start her on light dove loads; working up to a 3" turkey load (Hevi13 or similar). Make sure the stock fits her and put a good (LimbSaver) recoil pad on it. Make it a joy to shoot ... a good experience.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

WV Ridge Reaper

Id look into one if those Mossberg SA-20 turkey thug,I've never shot or handled one but they seem like it would be a good gun for a small frame person.

Don't buy a Mossberg pump unless you want a gun that sounds like two skeletons on a tin roof.

wvmntnhick

I'm sure there will be some shotgun lovers that will hate me for not going with the Beretta or Benelli line but I'd look no further than the remington 11-87 20 ga if the budget allows. I've had one for a few years and it's been great. Have let several young hunters start out with it since the recoil is quite manageable. On the other end of the spectrum, if you can swing the Winchester sxiii, that'd be the ticket. I'm in love with those guns. Love my sxii and would really like to have a matching 20. If you're looking to save money, the Mossberg international sa-20 is another viable option that is more affordable than any of the others and had gained a great reputation for reliability even though the fit and finish isn't all that great.They are made overseas but if it's all I could swing, I'd be getting it for sure.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 29, 2014, 07:30:57 PM
Id look into one if those Mossberg SA-20 turkey thug,I've never shot or handled one but they seem like it would be a good gun for a small frame person.

Don't buy a Mossberg pump unless you want a gun that sounds like two skeletons on a tin roof.
Guess I shoulda read this before posting. Coulda kept the sa-20 info to myself. Lol

Gooserbat

I'm a Remington fan, If she can handle the little extra recoil then an 870 youth is a no brainier, but if she is a bit sensitive then an 11-87.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kansas hooks

I bought my girlfriend the Mosberg Bantam youth 20 gauge and she loves it.  It has adjustable stock which is nice.  I have seen her give some turkeys a dirt nap without them flopping.  It's a great little gun!

turkeyfeathers

My petite 11 year old daughter shoots a youth Remmy 20. Has shot numerous light loads without a problem. I've shot some stouter loads thru it and it's not that bad. Next year when she can hunt I don't think she'll feel the difference on a turkey load with the adrenaline pumping on old tom

allaboutshooting

Quote from: stringtown on May 29, 2014, 06:58:09 PM
My wife grew up around a family that hunted and is now obviously married to an addict.  She has decided she wants to go on one trip a yr, or pretty regular anyway, somewhere we can hunt/vacation.  Anyway, I need to purchase her a shotgun and was looking for suggestions from anyone that has experience w/ women turkey hunting.  thanks

What I found when Doris started shooting in 2006 was fit is quite different for men and women and that fit will be very important if you want your wife to enjoy and continue shooting and hunting.

I'd also really encourage you not to get a short barrelled gun for your wife. They can produce so much muzzle whip that translates into cheek slap, that it can discourage her and also cause her to very quickly develop a flinch.

Doris is 5' 5" with normal length arms for a woman of that height. She also has a slender neck, about average, and her cheeks are not fat. Those are very important considerations when fitting a gun and even more critical for a woman.

She needs a 12 3/8" length of pull stock. She shoots 3 different 20 gauge shotguns. The Remington 870 has an ATI stock set at its shortest and that happens to be 12 3/8". The Mossberg 500 has the same ATI stock. Both have 26" barrels.

For hunting most of the time, she uses a Remington 11-87 youth model that came with a 22" (I think) barrel but that one caused so much cheek slap that we put a 26" barrel on it and a neoprene sleeve on the comb and that solved the problem.

All 3" turkey loads kick but if the fit is correct, it can really minimize it.

I had a lot to learn when it came to fitting a woman with a gun. Almost everything is different about it. Fortunately, I have a friend who is a gun fitter and he helped me learn a lot about how to get the job done.

If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to let me know. I've been there.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

zelmo1

If she is small framed, I suggest a Franchi AL48 youth model. Worked for my son when he was young and my wife shot it too. Light and low recoil. Only 2 3/4" but the boy killed his first bird at 38 yards with hevi shot #4's, STONED HIM. Good luck and keep her interested

Jacobson

I bought a Rem 870 youth model for my wife and it is a great little gun for her. It was also a very good value.

howl

I'd just take her to a big gun store and let her pick out her own. As long as it's light enough for her to handle easily and good quality with readily available chokes, etc. it really just comes down to personal preference. The biggest thing with my wife was finding lower recoiling loads and getting her one of those recoil pads that straps to the bra strap. I will say she appreciates the ease of using an o/u. She doesn't shoot much so simpler manual of arms is better.

captin_hook

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 30, 2014, 10:49:49 AM
I'm a Remington fan, If she can handle the little extra recoil then an 870 youth is a no brainier, but if she is a bit sensitive then an 11-87.
This

Marc

I also purchased a gun for my wife, but the gun is used for primarily wing shooting and clays.

There are three things I take into consideration with women and kids:

1)   Recoil
    2)   Gun fit
    3)   Gun weight

If the gun kicks, the shooter will not enjoy the experience, and will also have trouble hitting anything...  A semi-auto with a good recoil pad is a good choice here.

Gun fit is key to shooting accurately and comfortably.  Poor gun fit will increase felt recoil as well.  Most women and kids need a short stock, which is why I look for a wooden stock on a gun (a wood stock is much easier to have cut and fit than plastic).

Gun weight is also over-looked.  If the gun feels to heavy, the shooter will not be able to control the gun, which will create issues for both accuracy and safety.  Unfortunately as you make a gun lighter, it will also increase the felt recoil.

I purchased a Beretta Youth model for my wife, and we have both been happy with it.  My wife is petite, and we cut that stock to 12.65" (that is including putting on a thicker/softer pad on the gun)... 

I purchased the Beretta because it was the most comfortable gun for her to pick up, and although a light weight gun, it has a reputation as a soft shooter.

My first choice was the Browning youth model, but that gun was too heavy for my wife.

Looking at a Semi-Auto for reliability, I would be looking at:

• Beretta
    • Browning
    • Winchester SX-3
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Snoodsniper

I think the franchi 48al would be a good choice as previously mentioned. Its super light and a nice pointing gun. Only takes 2 3/4" though (or at least that's what mine is chambered for). Other than that I'd go with a Browning but my opinion is distorted.