turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good recoil reducing choke tube for 870

Started by art338wm, May 27, 2014, 04:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art338wm

My son is comfortable shooting one of my 12ga guns for turkey, but I would like to get a after market choke that will reduce recoil as much as possible. Will be shooting plain copper plated lead shells. 2.75" to start shot size #4 or #5.

Thank you,
Arthur.

Gooserbat

A choke tube won't reduce recoil that much, if any.  You would be better off with a limbsaver pad.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Skeeterbait

Lots of people mistakenly believe the ports in a choke are to reduce the recoil, they are not.  They are there to grab and slow the wad to help the shot move on out ahead of the wad to prevent disturbance in flight.  The gases vented behind the wad serve as a pressure release break further assisting the ports to slow the wad.  But they are venting in all directions, they have no effect on recoil.  Vents in the top of a barrel will reduce muzzle jump a bit which will give the impression of reduced recoil. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: art338wm on May 27, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
My son is comfortable shooting one of my 12ga guns for turkey, but I would like to get a after market choke that will reduce recoil as much as possible. Will be shooting plain copper plated lead shells. 2.75" to start shot size #4 or #5.

Thank you,
Arthur.

Hey Arthur,

You've received some good information. I don't know what kind of choke you're shooting currently but a more open choke will constrict the bore less than a tighter choke tube, all things being equal. So, if you're shooting a .660 choke a .670 choke will provide less constriction and in theory at least, will create less resistance and less recoil.

The unfortunate truth is that the exit diameter is just one part of a choke design and in practice, a tighter choke may not produce more recoil than a more open choke.

You can reduce the recoil by increasing the weight of the gun, a mercury recoil reducer for example, or by using a better recoil pad, putting a neoprene sleeve on the comb of your stock, shooting a gun with a longer barrel and most importantly, shooting a gun that has a good fit.

Lastly, as you've said, you can shoot a shell with a reduced payload and/or a reduced muzzle velocity. All will help and it's really up to you which of these work for you.

We'll all try to help in any way possible, so feel free to pose any questions that you may have.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteA choke tube won't reduce recoil that much, if any.  You would be better off with a limbsaver pad.

Yes.

d.winsor

Check out one of these, it reduces recoil considerably when you pattern your gun

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous                                                                                                                                                                                     

They say a ported choke reduces recoil some, I have one and I don't notice any big reduction of recoil.  I have used a past recoil pad since about 1992, I Couldn't shoot the 3.5 " turkey load without it.  When I hunt I never notice the recoil.

Snoodsniper

I went with a kicklite stock on my 870. It absorbs some of the recoil. My 7 year old is shooting it with some of my 2 3/4" hand loads and he handles it well. The adjustable lop is nice for a kid also.

art338wm

Thanks to all for the replies so far. My belief that a choke would reduce the recoil is based purely on the advertisement on said choke tubes packaging. Plan on installing a Limbsaver pad. He handles the 12 well and that's shooting 2-3/4" heavy field loads.

Now I know choke tubes don't reduce recoil. The only choke tubes I have ever used are one Remington Xtra-full, and a HS Strut xtra-full, neither are ported. Winsor I already own that wearable recoil pad, and put it on my sons.

BandedSpur

I agree that no choke tube is going to reduce recoil, a good pad will. I would ditch the 4s and 5s. In a 2.75" shell, with its reduced payload capacity, you need to increase pellet count, not decrease it by using 4s. I would recommend 6s in the 2.75" shell. They will kill as far as you can keep 100 in a 10" circle. That will be your max range.

Snoodsniper

Quote from: BandedSpur on May 28, 2014, 08:23:37 AM
I agree that no choke tube is going to reduce recoil, a good pad will. I would ditch the 4s and 5s. In a 2.75" shell, with its reduced payload capacity, you need to increase pellet count, not decrease it by using 4s. I would recommend 6s in the 2.75" shell. They will kill as far as you can keep 100 in a 10" circle. That will be your max range.

I agree. I load 1.5 oz of number 6 lead in a 2 3/4" shell. It patterns very well out to 30 yds. Using a Remington extra full turkey choke.

SumToy

I would go with a more open choke and look at ports in the barrel.   :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Old Gobbler

In my opinion the ported chokes  reduce the recoil , but it's very slight and most people won't notice

A good recoil pad will do wonders , also load down that gun with extra rounds and that will help soak up the K-I from the recoil
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

PEHunter

You may also consider putting some type of optic sight on the gun for him.  This may allow him to shoot in a more heads-up tactical position and reduce cheek slab.  I also think a good adjustable stock recoil pad makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

art338wm

Thanks to all for the replies, I am now much better educated than prior to my post. Am installing a LS recoil pad on my other 3" 870 for my sons and will go with 12ga/#6 shot, 2.75" Winchester Turkey loads (silver box) for their hunting of fall turkeys this year.

hunter177

The only choke I've ever used on any turkey gun is the TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665. It definitely helps tame felt recoil and gives great patterns. Hope this helps.
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot