OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tagged out in NY

Started by nyturkeyduster, May 25, 2014, 12:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyturkeyduster

Hey fellas, it's been over 2 years since I logged in and I wanted to share my success from this year. I took these two toms the first week of the season in Onondaga county. I tried my best to take a bird with my recurve but it just didn't work out, I ended up taking both my my 870 on backup. I took the first on opening morning @ 11:25 a.m. and the second bird on the 6th @ 11:53 a.m. It was the first year I've taken both birds that late in the morning.

21 lbs. 8 1/4" beard 1" spurs

22 lbs 8 1/2" beard 1 1/8" spurs

troutfisher13111

Congrats! I am struggling to fill my second tag, it's been a tough season.

mikejd

Quote from: Terry on May 25, 2014, 07:51:31 AM

Congrats on 2 great birds. Good to see you back around.

Terry, Are you also hunting NY. Because to me it seemed to be the worst year in NY in a long time.

nyturkeyduster

It has been a rough season for a lot of my friends too. The ones that are usually killers haven't gotten birds but my friends that occasionally hunt turkeys are having the best season of their lives. It's rather strange buy hey, that's hunting.

MACHINIST

Good deal!!! I tagged out this am.Its been very tough this year for us,we are hunting Oswego county so we are just up the road from you NYTD

nyturkeyduster

Congrats Machinist! Was it a hot bird, a lot toms have been killed the past 4 or 5 days it seems?

MACHINIST

He came in and let me know he was there with a gobble when he was around 60-70 yards.10 seconds later he was down.Dont really know if he was a hot bird but once he saw my hen decoy he walked straight to it but never strutted or even acted like he knew it was there.

nyturkeyduster

Quote from: MACHINIST on May 25, 2014, 04:37:54 PM
He came in and let me know he was there with a gobble when he was around 60-70 yards.10 seconds later he was down.Dont really know if he was a hot bird but once he saw my hen decoy he walked straight to it but never strutted or even acted like he knew it was there.

Sounds like like played the game before. Congrats again! :icon_thumright:

MACHINIST

I never have with him,but I bet he was walking around looking for a receptive hen.He was a fighter,one spur was broke off at the base and the other leg had a nasty tear in the skin.His feather(other than tail) were pretty beat up so I think he was a bully,and around here turkey bullies get shot in the face!!LOL

troutfisher13111

Quote from: mikejd on May 25, 2014, 08:36:31 AM
Quote from: Terry on May 25, 2014, 07:51:31 AM
Terry, Are you also hunting NY. Because to me it seemed to be the worst year in NY in a long time.

Yes I am. Oswego and Cayuga counties. I have been hunting every weekend, 3-4 days a week before work, and a few days off and haven't heard a gobble since May 6th. I hunted a large tract of state land this morning and covered over 4 miles according to my pedometer and never heard a single bird.

I am wondering if I am being too aggressive.

MACHINIST

If your hunting state property then your hunting pressured birds for sure.The farm I hunt I have heard birds every morning except 2 and they were the last 2 sits I was there so I decided I was going to give it a rest for all of last weekend and concentrate on places I haven't hunted.It helped as we heard birds both mornings and I killed my 2nd yesterday.

troutfisher13111

Yesterday was the first day I hunted state land. Thought I would try something different.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

DirtNap647