turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Double X 3 inch shells.

Started by deerbasshunter3, May 22, 2014, 06:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Has anybody used the Winchester Double X 3 inch shells?

I had a bad experience with the Long beard XRs in a 3.5 inch shell today at the range and am now "gun shy" about both a 3.5 inch shell and the Long beard XRs.

I feel like the Long Beard XRs will get a little more range than the Double X but not sure.

Any help would be necessary.

owlhoot

deerbasshunter3

It hurts like all get out and it broke the ejector port cover.

d.winsor

Get you a past shooting pad for patterning your gun, it will take the sting out of it.  I use it for 3.5 inch shells and can shoot all day.  The long beards will get a lot of extra range with the right choke for your gun.  Of course 40 yards is all you need.

deerbasshunter3

Will the Winchester Double Xs reach out and kill a bird at 40? I am new to this, so I apologize for the silly question.

jblackburn

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 18, 2015, 02:10:27 PM
Will the Winchester Double Xs reach out and kill a bird at 40? I am new to this, so I apologize for the silly question.

Up until a few years ago, all I ever used was 3 inch winchester XX 6's.  They are as deadly as anything, if you take the time to pattern and match a good choke.  I switched to the 3.5 inch version in my 835 for more pellets, and honestly I don't notice much recoil difference.

I have not shot the long beards, but I've been told the recoil is significant.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gobble!

Double Xs will work just fine out to 40 but the long beards will pattern better. Why not a 3" long beard?

budtripp

3 in longbeards kick about the same as any other 3 in turkey load except for the win hv. Which is what you'd expect as they have the same shot payload (1.75 oz) but the longbeards are 100 fos slower.  None of then are pleasant by any means but they are all tolerable.  The xx mags and hv are good shells and i still shoot both as i have a lot of them. That being said I'd try some 3 inch longbeards if I were starting out fresh. 

stinkpickle

You might want to try some Super-X 3-1 7/8-6's also.

silvestris

I tried the 3" Longbeards in my SBE and was happy with both pattern and recoil.  Tried the 3".Double XX 5s in my 20 ga. rem 11-87 youth with a Truglo SSX and got absolutely the worst pattern I have ever seen.  Same setup with the Fed Heviweight 7s and got a great pattern.  Go figure.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

surehuntsalot

Quote from: silvestris on February 18, 2015, 09:58:32 PM
I tried the 3" Longbeards in my SBE and was happy with both pattern and recoil.  Tried the 3".Double XX 5s in my 20 ga. rem 11-87 youth with a Truglo SSX and got absolutely the worst pattern I have ever seen.  Same setup with the Fed Heviweight 7s and got a great pattern.  Go figure.

I don't know what it is, but I have tried the Winchester 20ga #5's through several different chokes in my 870 youth and I can't get a decent pattern to save my life
You put some Federal pre FC #5's in her and we are talking dead bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

deerbasshunter3

Yeah, I may go pick up a box of Longbeards before going to the range just to have something else to compare the XX to. I am assuming that the 3" Longbeards kick like a 3.5" shell since they are made for longer distances?

ShortSpurs

For years I used the 3" XX 2 oz. of #4s or 5s. Killed turkeys past 40 yds. No problems  ;D!

These days I use the LB 3.5", 1 3/4oz. loads in a 870 SM and can't say there is any recoil differences, maybe I'm just numb to it after all those years  ::).

owlhoot

Quote from: ShortSpurs on February 19, 2015, 10:22:11 AM

These days I use the LB 3.5", 1 3/4oz. loads in a 870 SM

?? Have never seen that load.??

ShortSpurs

Quote from: owlhoot on February 19, 2015, 05:14:52 PM
Quote from: ShortSpurs on February 19, 2015, 10:22:11 AM

These days I use the LB 3.5", 1 3/4oz. loads in a 870 SM

?? Have never seen that load.??

How about 2 oz load in the 3.5" LB shell.