OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Shot with shot lok technology

Started by bghunter777, May 22, 2014, 10:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bghunter777

I would imagine the denser than lead shot with the new Shot Lok technology would be pretty amazing! I hope Winchester is able to eventually get this done I know I would be a buyer. I love the patterns people are getting with longbeard but lead is still lead regardless of it retaining its shape ect. Personally I would love to see a Hevi shot or Megaweight type load with the shot lok technology.

stinkpickle

Too dang tight...it'd be like a fragmenting slug.  ;)

Gooserbat

Sounds good in theory but the problem I see is it wouldn't shoot a lot tighter because the enemy of lead has been deformation.  The resin eliminates much of that so the lead stays round and thus flies straighter.  The htl is round, doesn't deform and thus flies straighter.  I think I could help but again it's not needed, nor do I think the benefits would be that grand.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

THattaway

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 22, 2014, 12:32:56 PM
Too dang tight...it'd be like a fragmenting slug.  ;)
Nope. I want 'em to make 'em splosive and glow like tracer rounds so all ya gotta do is just hit close like in horseshoes and handgrenades. :)
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Skeeterbait

My guess would be that it would have little to no effect on the pattern of HTL shot.  It serves to buffer the lead shot and protect it from deformation thus reducing flyers.  HTL is hard enough it does not deform and the buffer would serve no purpose.  I also think you won't see it from Winchester  anyway because Winchester seems to have chosen to cast it's lot with lead shot and abandon HTL shot.

Pretty good marketing position.  Hevi says we can make a great patterning shell but we need you to pay $6 each for them.  Winchester says we can make a great patterning shell at a greatly reduced price.  Why would they go back to HTL and say we are adding a technology to HTL that is going to make it cost even more?

owlhoot

Oh come on now.
A HTL shot in some kind of shotlok might be interesting.
it could be easier to get to pattern.?
I dont know of any disadvantage to denser , harder hitting shot .
Besides getting bored and need some to new toys to play with and talk about. :) :)

Gooserbat

Quote from: owlhoot on May 22, 2014, 05:49:06 PM
Oh come on now.

Besides getting bored and need some to new toys to play with and talk about. :) :)

I say just hand load some TSS and fill it with Elmers glue. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

DirtNap647

I would like to see them attempt it  might make there shells more consistent instead of hunting old lot numbers