turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1300 patterning results

Started by Lukas929, May 18, 2014, 09:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas929

I patterned my new to me 1300 22' barrel ssx choke this past weekend, I deep cleaned the barrel first and then bore snaked after almost every shot. Yardage was lasered at 41 yards with a cheap Simmons range finder. All my circles are 9'' because I didn't have a 10'' ring. I was expecting better results it was about 70 degrees.

Lukas929

I took my best 3 patterns and re shot them once and these were the second results.

Lukas929

and for the helk of it I shot the longbeards at 20 yards....

Lukas929

I plan on trying some hevi size 6 shot next time I make it out but otherwise I think I need to try another choke, anyone else recommend anything?

mikejd

Bead or sights. If sights IC will be your best bet. I am a bit of a 1300 collector and have run a dozen different chokes through them. I hunt bead only so I play with chokes and rounds all the time but IC should get you into the 200's somewhere with heavy 6's. 7's will get you high 2's.

Lukas929

thank you, I have a red dot on it but I was shooting offhand as II was more concerned with quickly patterning shells then I was poi. Also I had a girl shoot a few of these...

mikejd

Good for you. Why make your cheek sore. Beat hers up first. And the reason I asked about the sights was because the IC was not centered well for me and with no adjustment I don't use it.

eddie234

Have you tried the heavy shot choke with your 1300?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

d.winsor

My son in law has a 1300, with a .665 tru glo choke at 40 yards you could miss a turkey without a scope.

Lukas929

I have only tried this TruGlo SSX, I still have what I believe to be the factory turkey choke that came with it not sure exactly what it is it only says .665 on it. I plan to shoot a few from that choke next time out just to see what it can do, not sure if I can shoot hevi shot out of it I wish I knew for sure what choke tube it was because I'd preferably like to use hevi shot if I can get them to pattern good.

d.winsor

My son in laws gun came from the factory with a .665 choke not sure of the brand, did not shoot a real good pattern, I put the tru glo .665 in and it is super.

model94

I have a Winchester 1300 as well and it did not like the SSX Choke. I had blown patterns. I purchased an Indian Creek .660 choke tube and I got excellent results with the Hevy 13 #6 and the Hevy 13 Magblends. I had 215 pellets in a ten inch circle at 40 yards with the #6 and 187 hits with the mag blends. Since I was concerned that the pattern might be too tight at 20 yards, I shot the # 6 at 20 yards and the entire shot pattern was with in a 12" circle and it was even. Not one pellet outside the circle on big paper. Also, I tested a .660 Carlson Choke at 40 yards and I got 87 hits with the Hevy13 #6 and 118 hits with the mag blends with in a 10 inch circle. The Carlson Choke tube was excellent out to 30 yards, but the pattern really fell off after that. I am glad that I got a chance to really pattern my gun this year on big paper and not just turkey targets.

I was stunned at the difference between the two chokes. Try the .660 Indian Creek Choke. I do not think you will be sorry. 

Don

model94

The standard turkey choke that came with my 1300 Buck and Tom was for lead only. I purchased my gun in 2006 and it has a 22" barrel and it came with a Sabot Slug choke as well. I really like my 1300!!

I hope that helps.

Don

allaboutshooting

Those are rather curious patterns. You are shooting at "big paper" at lease 3 feet x 3 feet and circling the best pattern, correct. I noticed that you're shooting at 41 yards and using a 9 inch circle for the numbers. It seems like a small difference but yardage and circle diameter can make a difference.

A couple of suggestions that might let you see exactly what your gun is capable of doing.

I would actually measure the distance from the muzzle of your gun to 40 yards. I know range finders are used quite often but there's really no substitute for accurately taping the distance. I'd also use a 10" circle so that you can accurately compare your results with those of others.

I looked at the shells you're using and those Hevi-13 shells with #7 shot should certainly give you much higher numbers and more dense patterns than I am seeing.

If you'll clean the bore and then not clean between shots, you'll likely have much better results as well.

Short barrels can be challenging but with the Winchester HV shells with #6 shot and with the Hevi-13 shells with #7 shot, those numbers and the density should be much better.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I'd also try some 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

model94

Quote from: Lukas929 on May 18, 2014, 10:05:40 PM
thank you, I have a red dot on it but I was shooting offhand as II was more concerned with quickly patterning shells then I was poi. Also I had a girl shoot a few of these...

I agree!!