Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poison oak, poison ivy, and poison summac.

Started by Marc, May 18, 2014, 12:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Recently, I was reading a post on here, in which a couple members were complaining about poison ivy/oak.  I am really sensitive to poison oak, and enjoying both quail and turkey hunting, I come in contact with it far more than I would like.

There is currently a product called Ivy Block, that prevents the urushiol from binding to the skin:

http://www.ivyblock.com/

Interestingly, the active ingredient to this potion is basically antiperspirant...  It prevents the urushiol oils from binding to the skin as well.

I have not used the product, but I have used antiperspirant...  For turkey and quail hunting, I basically hose myself down with cheap unscented antiperspirant, and I have had fairly good success doing this...   In the spring, it is a bit easier to avoid the poison oak (but pretty bad when you do), as you can see the leaves and avoid the plants.  In the fall, the leaves have fallen off, but the urushiol oils remain....

Many times, I can tell the areas I missed by the break-out of poison oak...

So by using liberally applied antiperspirant to prevent the oils from binding to the skin, as well as cleaning with a product such as Tecnu Extreme or Zanfel cleanser immediately after getting home, I have had some success with avoiding some of the poison oak problems...

Also make sure to wash your clothes immediately.   Clothes will hold the oils of these plants for a long time.

For quail hunting, the dogs get a bath as soon as I get home as well.  Their fur will hold that oil and pass it on to everyone in the family.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

BowBendr

Ivyblock does work. When I used to lay a lot of water and sewer lines we used to wash everything down in it everyday, especially shovel/spade handles, probing rod handles, hand tools, etc.
I spread it on my back, arms and hands liberally while working in ditches and washed off with it at the end of every day...it works.

strutlife

I will tell ya this. I got a dose of poison sumac when rabbit hunting as a kid and that stuff is no joke.

allaboutshooting

A few years ago, I developed sensitivity to all the "poison" type plants. Prior to this, I'd never had a reaction to any of them and never paid much attention to them for this reason.

I had a very bad case and it was spreading. It required some steroids to stop it and liberal applications of topical  moisturizing creams to heal my skin. It was a real learning experience.

Now when I know I've been exposed, I take a cool water shower and use Fels-Naptha soap to strip the oils that cause the problem. It's important to use cool water. Warm or hot water can open the pores and allow the oils to do more damage. I'm told that you must do this with 20 minutes of exposure but many times I've done it much later and still had positive results.

If I still get a small patch, I use Eucerin Skin Calming lotion. It stops the itching and soothes the skin.

As has been said, you really need to launder the clothes you're wearing, separately from other clothes and always remember you shoes, boots, etc. and don't forget about shoe strings. They can really absorb the oil that transmits the itch.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

blackmagic

Thumbs up for Zanfel.  I've never had a reaction in my life until I met the "Evil Vine" as we call it on a tree we hunt a stand.  My buddy has also never had a reaction to ivy so we had no issues putting it up there.  Well, we both ended up at the doctor's office, (they were close to admitting me to the hospital) and had doses of steroids, etc.  My face was so swollen, I could hardly open my eyes.  And yes...I made the mistake of watering the plant during that hunt and spread it down yonder.
Cool water helped as did alcohol, but Zanfel brought on the most relief.
Btw, the "evil vine" stand is still up in that tree, 2 years later.  That forest is going to have to burn down before I get it.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Being a timber buyer cruising timber I am always getting it on me look up tecnu I believe it is best stuff i have found!

Marc

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 19, 2014, 09:31:03 AM
A few years ago, I developed sensitivity to all the "poison" type plants. Prior to this, I'd never had a reaction to any of them and never paid much attention to them for this reason.

Most people have to come in contact with the plant multiple times before being affected.  It is actually an immune response, and the more you come in contact with it, the more T-cell antibodies are produced and the larger the inflammatory response.

The poison plants cause a delayed hypersensitivity reaction.  The first time we have a reaction is usually 5-10 days after the exposure.  Each following exposure the reaction time is cut down.  I now have a reaction within hours.

The first time I had a reaction was well over a week from the event...  I had no idea why I suddenly woke up with such a horrible rash.  Currently, poison oak is the only plant I will actually run away from.

Before that, I could roll around in the stuff with no problem.

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 19, 2014, 09:31:03 AM

As has been said, you really need to launder the clothes you're wearing, separately from other clothes and always remember you shoes, boots, etc. and don't forget about shoe strings. They can really absorb the oil that transmits the itch.

Thanks,
Clark

Never thought about the shoe laces, and I have ended up with the stuff on my hands after hunting areas without any poison oak...  That is a mystery solved, and will be considered in the future...  Thank you for posting this tidbit.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

DirtNap647

Spellnj3

Theres also a product called Oral Ivy.  It's ivy oil that you take in water that makes your body more immune to the oil.  Ive used it for 4 years and it dramatically reduces the amount of poison ivy I get or even the time frame of the rash is dramatically cut down.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

davisd9

Hate it for you guys that get this stuff.  My mom gets it bad.  Fortunately it does not seem to bother me.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer