turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DSD Strutter motion and more

Started by Dan Mallia, May 17, 2014, 02:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Mallia

Seasons over, I'm depressed and working on stuff for next season, mainly things I couldn't get to while the season was going. Here's some some of the stuff I've been working on with my DSD strutter.   Thought I'd share em.

I wanted add motion to the decoy but didn't want to have a string setup. I did some searches and was turned on to a motorized system from Bass Pro Shops.  It runs on 4 AA batteries and has a remote.  I had to cut the stake that came with the motion system so the decoy wouldn't sit too high. I cut about 5 1/2 inches off it.  It should work out ok but perhaps I'd cut and less off depending on your ground. In the video you'll see I had the stakes as deep as I could get them in the hard packed ground I got around my house. Once I cut the stake I added some off the rubber washers that come with the DSD's for traction on the smaller stake. The stake is a smaller diameter than the stake that comes with the decoy but it works out good.

Really stoked with the movement it adds to the decoy.

http://youtu.be/YTaMBvoLJ5c

I'm using a tailfan holder from Edge. You have to place each individual tailfan feather in the slots. The holder is designed to fold the fan up for transport. As you can tell, I went a little overboard with the gorilla glue. It's not pretty but it's solid as a rock. I use a turkey fan tail save and put that inside the DSD strutter bag.

I had to drill a hole right below the top feather slot to accept the bolt of the DSD strutter, just a tad bigger than the bolt and it fits good and snug.

I have a couple of spots I can use this decoy safely and can't wait to get it out next year!!!

dfresh55

thast awsome man, i liek the bps strutter stake,  i originally bought there strutter becasue of that stake,  as i worked there and the discount was hard to pass up but the decoy was awful its self..

but your on to something with that stake... nice mod!

Old Gobbler

I was telling brad at DSD that I drill a 1 inch hole at the bottom of the decoy and put a full length stake through it -- a slight breeze makes the strutter move , and move very naturally too
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If I ever realize I need motion decoys to kill turkeys I think that instead of spending my time building a motion decoy, ill spend it evaluating where my skills were lacking and then just improve them.

You know, actually feel like I knew how to hunt a turkey instead of letting my Inspector Gadget Wizmojo motion decoy deluxe do all the work for me.

Old Gobbler

I don't believe in battery powered anything for turkeys , but using a decoy is a must have for personal safety issues --

Seen some horrible turkey shooting accidents and after that I don't walk out the house with out one
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Dan Mallia

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 17, 2014, 05:18:58 PM
If I ever realize I need motion decoys to kill turkeys I think that instead of spending my time building a motion decoy, ill spend it evaluating where my skills were lacking and then just improve them.

You know, actually feel like I knew how to hunt a turkey instead of letting my Inspector Gadget Wizmojo motion decoy deluxe do all the work for me.

Oh don't worry, I know how to turkey hunt.  I spend most of my days on heavily pressured public land and I've been fortunate to enjoy a lot of success over the years I've been chasing them.  I put a lot of time, patience and work put into my turkey seasons.  I'm confident in my skills to be successful.

This is just another part of trying to gain an edge.  I could've tied a string to it and pulled it to get that motion, would that've been ok with you?  :TooFunny:

Seems I've struck a nerve with you.  To each his own.

Snoodsniper

Seriously guys what's the difference if it's turkeys,ducks, geese or even crows. If it's legal in your state and that's what it takes especially on heavily pressured birds I say go for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dan Mallia

Quote from: Snoodsniper on May 17, 2014, 09:13:43 PM
Seriously guys what's the difference if it's turkeys,ducks, geese or even crows. If it's legal in your state and that's what it takes especially on heavily pressured birds I say go for it.

Bingo.  :thanks:

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Dan Mallia on May 17, 2014, 09:18:29 PM

All that you listed except turkey are speeding by flying not walking in. Don't see the connection in using them on hard pressured public land tho? What am I missing there?

Snoodsniper

Quote from: turkey_slayer on May 17, 2014, 10:14:52 PM
Quote from: Dan Mallia on May 17, 2014, 09:18:29 PM

All that you listed except turkey are speeding by flying not walking in. Don't see the connection in using them on hard pressured public land tho? What am I missing there?

You have a valid point. It's not something I would do but to each their own. Where I hunt you can't use battery anything except for crows. So as far as I'm concerned the point is moot.

Snoodsniper

I hear you but bashing someone because they're doing something different just kind of  upsets me. I change tactics all the time to get best of these darn birds. I don't advertise most of what I do because I don't feel the need.

gwa

Back to the original post,
Where did you get the tail fan holder?

Denny

ridgerunner

Nice I like it. Wish I could use one here in Indiana, but we can't use electronics. My taxidermist is working on a cool decoy design. Check out the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schmeltz-Taxidermy/124781187588526

renegade19

Quote from: ridgerunner on May 18, 2014, 08:04:53 AM
Nice I like it. Wish I could use one here in Indiana, but we can't use electronics. My taxidermist is working on a cool decoy design. Check out the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schmeltz-Taxidermy/124781187588526

Those are awesome.  I'd be scared to carry that strutter through the woods by the handle!  Back to the original post, that DSD looks sweet too.  Good job.

Dan Mallia