turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What should I do?

Started by Cove, May 16, 2014, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cove

I have found myself in a situation and I was curious as what others would do put in similar circumstances.

At the end of last season I finally killed a bird I wanted to mount. Last day in Ohio, 1.5" spurs and small secondary spurs of about 1/8" or so. . . beard almost 11" etc etc. My brother mentioned a taxidermist near him and spoke of his work, he's ability to paint a realistic head in particular. Spoke w the guy and stated I was on my way in and would have him the bird the following day which I did. Several months later he calls to say when be went to cape the bird it had gone bad, something he hadn't seen before (he's done taxidermy for a LONG time) and assured me it was nothing on his end. All his freezers were good etc. . . No big deal. I took him another bird I had in the freezer and told him to put the beard and spurs on this new bird, stuff happens and it's nothing I was gonna get riled up about.

Fast forward to last week. He calls and says my bird is ready. (btw, he's already gotten a $200 deposit) My brother is close by and stops by to see the work today. Calls with the news that the bird looks fantastic, but it's not my bird. The 1.5" spurs w the secondaries are not there. At this point, the taxidermist begins with an array of back pedaling excuses while being somewhat apologetic. His wife gets extremely ugly, exclaiming I can come pay the rest of the balance or forget it, that we would never be welcome for business again and that my bird has been a nightmare among other things. Now, after she is asked to leave the room, the taxidermist asks what he could do to 'make it right' which is when my brother stated the only way was to find the spurs obviously.

So this is my pickle. LoL  What would you do? what should I ask for? He did have the spurs and beard from the 2nd bird I brought him so I'm going to retrieve them for sure. Should I just ask for my deposit back and leave with nothing from my Ohio trophy? I'm honestly at a loss and trying to keep a level head.

Grunt-N-Gobble

You didn't tell us what he claims he did with your first bird.......... The one with the 1.5in spurs.  What was the excuse?  Those things just don't disappear never to be seen again.  Makes me wonder if he didn't take your bird and sell it.

No matter what, you get your beard and spurs back from the 2nd bird and the 1st if possible.  Then you demand your $200 deposit back because you didn't get the item you paid for.  He should pay you more in restitution for the "lost" spurs and beard.

And if you aren't satisfied, then you tell him one of two things.......... You'll take him to small claims court OR and this is worse if you ask me, you'll go onto every hunting forum you possibly can and tell everyone to stay away for his shop because he lied and cheated you outta your trophy gobbler.  I know that sounds harsh, but he should have the original set of spurs and the beard at the very least and you should get your money back.  Anything less is BS.

hunter-b

Get the original spurs and beard back. No excuse what so ever . His nightmare is just beginning .

30_06

Original spurs, beard, and money back or lawsuits and bad publicity.

Spring_Woods

I wouldn't have some other damn bird with different features on my bird! I'd flipped out and got in that woman's face for one. Second, you shouldn't have to pay a dime. Get your stuff back and your $200 deposit and never talk to him again.
Shame, sounds like a booner of a bird
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Cove

Yeah, I wish getting the spurs and beard along with the deposit back were an option. He cant produce the spurs or come up with an explanation as to where they are . . . .

It's just the beginning of this thing b/t us I'm afraid. But if that's what it has to be then so be it. . . .

silvestris

Sounds like your bird just might be on display in some fatcat's living room.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

Yep, sounds like someone else paid a good price for a trophy mount at your expense.  This guy owes you big time.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

That's a shame that it worked out the way it did for you.  I'm not sure what happened on the taxidermist's end, but it sounds to me like the cape spoiled somehow and he just threw it away without thinking about the unique spurs.  He probably didn't even remember that the bird had the double spurs on it.  It is odd that he did not have the presence of mind to keep the beard and spurs, but that it sounds like he probably just tossed the entire cape.

At this point, if it makes any difference to you, you should know that it would quite easy to replicate the original bird's spurs and beard in another mount.  Except for color-phase birds and hybrid mixes, most gobblers of different subspecies pretty much look the same.  Another cape, a similar beard, a new pair of legs,...and a good memory of what the spurs looked like,...and a taxidermist should be able to reproduce what the gobbler looked like without much trouble. 

Because of that, I doubt that your bird ended up with someone else.  It someone really wanted to have a mount of a unique gobbler, it would be too easy to produce a really spectacular bird for display. 

Gooserbat

I would ask for the beard, spurs, $200 back from the 2nd tom as well as the cost of the nonresident tag.  Then I would part company and never look back.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DirtNap647

wouldn't settle for anything less than your money beards and spurs

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Where are the double spurs and beard of of the original bird??  There is no way to make this right until they are back in your possession and your deposit is refunded.... It would get ugly if those two contingencies weren't handled...

TRKYHTR

First off it was very fishy to me that a turkey would spoil in a freezer. That just doesn't happen. It might get freezer burned but not spoil without all the other animals in there getting spoiled. Second did you see your spurs and beard when you took him the other cape? I have my doubts that these spurs and beard of the original turkey were lost or thrown away. NOBODY throws away a double spurred 1 1/2" turkey especially a taxidermist. He did something with it. I would never take another turkey. It's not yours, and would wonder where he got those beard and spurs. How could he even try to fake you into believing that this turkey is yours when yours was a double spurred 1 1/2" turkey. He must be some kinda stupid. I would for sure get your deposit back, get your other beard and spurs and get restitution for the turkey he "lost". I would not ever do business with him or take some kind of trade like, he would mount another turkey for free for you etc... This really sucks Dave and I hope it works out for you but I have my doubts you will ever see that double spurred turkey again. Dang this makes me mad.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

eddie234

Try contacting the DNR in that area and see if they can help. His story doesn't said right. In the words of judge Judy if it doesn't sound true it isn't.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

I agree with the guys. This is beyond fishy. I too believe the guy mounted your bird and sold it to some phony with a lot of money. I don't think threatening him or calling Game & Fish would work. I'd probably take him to court and see what I could get out of him. Then either way, I would go on every hunting and taxidermy forum I could find and destroy the guy's name, and his business's name as well. Sorry to hear that man, that was a heck of a bird.