turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help Me Choose

Started by IowaGobblers, May 14, 2014, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaGobblers

I am currently in the process of trying to decide on a htl load to try. I have never used a htl load but wanted to try some after seeing the patterns you guys get, as well as what I heard they can do compaired to lead. I'm not talking about taking unethical shots, but I am looking for something that can get the job done if I miss judge the distance. I think I have it down to either magblends or hevi 13 #5's or #6's. Im shooting a Beretta a400 w/ sumtoy .665
Thanks for your time.

Spurcollecta

I'd shoot hevi 13 6's in either 2 or 2.25oz or Fed HW 7's

budtripp

Hevi 6's or 7's.  Forget the hevi 5's in my opinion

Swampchickin234

In my 870 with .665, 26" 31/2 21/4 ounce 6s shoot like they were from heaven.  Shoot em in the waddles and it gives them the quiet desease that can't be cured.  Of course what everyone's sayin on here about the 7s, I may need to try them.  But the 6s have shot very well out of 3 870s that I know about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

IowaGobblers

Thanks for the input
Quote from: howl on May 14, 2014, 10:14:22 AM
Did you ask SumToy?
Yes I did. He said that the Fed. Heavyweight have a wad that is too hard for the thin choke wall in the a400. He also so that the hevi #7's should shoot well but I am a little leary of the #7's.

bbcoach

7's everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.  7's will definitely get the job done at ethical ranges.  My 835 will consistent put 300+ in a 10" circle at 40 yds.  I just returned from South Dakota and took a bird with the longest shot I've taken with 7's and the bird never moved when I pulled the trigger.  Laser ranged at 38 yards.  With the proper choke in your gun, you can expect the same thing.

eddie234

Id try either the mag blends or the 6's. I personaly like the hevi 13 6's

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Bigspurs68

Have no fears about the 7's! They chew em down! As with many many others here, iv seen a pile of birds hit with hevi 7's in various loads. Floors em.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

beagler

Never Misses

allaboutshooting

The 3" Hevi-13s with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 would be my choice.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

captin_hook

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Hevi 13 3.5" 2.25 ounce 6s
Hevi 13 3.5" 2.25 ounce 7s
Hevi 13 3.5" Mag blends

All of these loads with the right choke will kill em cleanly out past distances allowed for discussion here.

stinkpickle

Quote from: budtripp on May 14, 2014, 09:46:46 AM
Hevi 6's or 7's.  Forget the hevi 5's in my opinion

This.  ^^^

AndyH

Quote from: IowaGobblers on May 14, 2014, 10:24:20 AM
Thanks for the input
Quote from: howl on May 14, 2014, 10:14:22 AM
Did you ask SumToy?
Yes I did. He said that the Fed. Heavyweight have a wad that is too hard for the thin choke wall in the a400. He also so that the hevi #7's should shoot well but I am a little leary of the #7's.
Why are you Leary of the 7's? I have shot two coyotes stone cold dead with Hevi13 3" 2 oz 7's ( pics are posted of both on here somewhere)and have killed a pile of turkey's with this load.