OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Western NY Public Land Help

Started by chcltlabz, May 13, 2014, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

Folks, I'm headed up to the inlaws towards the end of the month, which means I NEED to find some hunting opportunities.  I haven't hunted NY in years, and when I did, it was nowhere near here.

I have a possibility for some private land to hunt in the southern tier, but if that falls apart, which it looks like it is, I'm going to give it a try on public land.  I'll be staying in Westfield, and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to get a few scouting reports from family, but any tidbits would be greatly appreciated, and will be kept quiet, and you'll likely never see me there again.

Thanks in advance for any info you could provide.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

d.winsor

I don't know anything about the area you want to hunt but I can give you some information that will make your hunt on public land enjoyable, where ever you hunt.  I have hunted public land since 1984, The first thing you need to do is decide where you are going to hunt.  Then Call the DNR that regulates and manages the property.  Ask them for the hunting regulations for the area.  They may be the same as the state regulations, then get a copy of them and read them. Then tell them what you intend to hunt and ask if they have any special rules pertaining to the game.  Bag limits, restricted areas, etc.  Then ask them if they have hunter designated parking areas or if you can park on the side of the road where you intend to hunt, and if there are any special rules related to parking.  Use your common sense when hunting, if you are using a public access point and there is designated parking at a gated entrance.  If some one tells you they were there first, wish them well and continue on your way.  Don't argue with them, you have the hunting regulations and the information from the DNR, If people can buffalo you they will, they are trying to protect their area probably.  Like I told you I have hunted public land since 1984, I have had many instances where people tried to manipulate me, I never got mad and I just stated the regulations.  Get you a 7.5 quadro map of the area if possible, that way you will know exactly where the public land is, if someone tries to run you off, revert to the map.  Some people will tell you when you hunt public land you need a higher than normal ethics, related to hunting.  Again go by the hunting regulations and rules of the area you are hunting and you will have all the ethics you need.  One last thing, Keep the property telephone # with you, also the number of the Conservation Officer of the area, if you run into any real problem go back to your car and call one or both.  I guarantee you they will want to know about it.  Be sure to get a good Compass and a GPS if you can afford one, Fix a point at any gobbling, they will always roost in about the same area during turkey season.  I wish you all the luck there is and hope you have a good time, I can just about assure you no one will tell you where their hunting areas for turkeys are on public land, some may even try to steer you away from their public land.  Call the state DNR you want to hunt in and ask them for the available public hunting areas where you want to hunt.  They may even have maps of the area that will be helpful, and maybe free.  Never assume you are the only one in an area, even if there are no other cars parked near you.  Especially if you hear a gobbler, some people slip in without hooting to keep their presence unknown and others hoot their head off while the bird is still gobbling, probably anti hunters.  You will never know where they came from.  One last thing, if anyone asks where you will be hunting tell them where the turkeys gobble.  Not where you are hunting turkeys, you might end up seeing them there.  Nine times out of ten when you enter the woods you will not see another hunter, again that doesn't mean they are not there.  I have enjoyed hunting public land and have never had a bad experience, sometimes you have to deal with a situation and only you will know what is the right thing to do.  Your rights have already been negotiated for you, don't give them away.  Good Luck.

MACHINIST

Check out the state lands mapper.D.Winsor has some decent advise about getting on the horn with the local ECON officer.He/she will generally point you in a decent direction.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html

Uvagobbler

I think machinist has a great suggestion. I would try my best to avoid obvious parking spots and easy access areas. Check with your local game commission and they should be able to answer any questions regarding specific regulations and laws. Ethics on public land has come up in recent discussions. Ethical behavior should come from the individual because ethics isn't a mandated law. It is respect for other hunters, landowners and the game we pursue. It is about going above and beyond rules and regulations, not just on public ground. Some people will go to great lengths to harvest any game. The ones who use the rules and regulation book as a guide for their set of ethics are entitled to that. Ones who go beyond the law are entitled to that also. Main thing is have a great time and be safe. Hopefully you will post some pics of a nice public land gobbler. Good luck.

chcltlabz

Guys, I was just asking if anyone had any advice on the area.  I've hunted plenty of public land, just thought maybe someone could throw me a bone since my original plan fell apart.

I've been on the DEC website, got a few spots in mind, and I don't mind going in blind.  Done it many times, just thought someone here might feel like being helpful.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

mikejd

Do you know what county that is.

hunter-b

I would help you out if you were coming to central NY .

ihunts2much

I would check out Boutwell Hill. Its near Jamestown and holds birds. I used to hunt hare in there.  Late season pressure shouldn't be bad.