OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stuck Choke help!

Started by jblackburn, May 12, 2014, 10:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

Ok, so I recently took a newer Winchester 1300 in on trade for some stuff, and shame on me, I did not check the choke when we made the deal.  The gun is in really good shape and doesn't look like its been hunted with or even shot much, so I overlooked what has to be near the top of the to do's!!!!

Well the deal is done, gun is mine, no looking back.  Here's the problem:

For the life of me I cannot get the tube out.  Once I realized that I could not remove it by hand, I wrapped an old t-shirt around the tube and could not budge it with channel locks!

I soaked the end of the barrel in WD-40 for two days, nothing.

I put in the freezer for 12 hours then ran the tube end under scalding hot water - nothing.

I was thinking of using a propane torch and heating the tube up from the inside, but I don't want to mess up the bluing or get it too hot and ruing the temper and make it dangerous.

It's almost like there is Loctite on the threads!!

Any other ideas??

I'd rather not have the barrel cut and re-threaded because I was planning on giving it a good cleaning and selling it, but I may have a third turkey gun if I have to drop money on it! 

Oh, and at this point I really don't care if I screw up the tube!  I don't know what it is for sure since I cannot get it out, but I think its a factory full or modified.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

RemingtonRules

soak it in Kroil for a week, heat it up slightly and see what happens. 

jblackburn

Didn't even think about kroil.  Got some for barrel polishing.  I'll give that a go.

Other suggestions still welcome!

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Deputy 14

Plastic cup full of PB Blaster if you can find it.  Just let it bath in it for a few days, if that doesn't break it loose you may be in trouble.

Dtrkyman

Try shooting a bunch of rounds through it as fast as you can load em up, pull the plug and rapid fire 5 in a row, should heat it up and maybe it will brake loose, otherwise pb blaster is good stuff!

Skeeterbait

Is this a flush or extended choke?  Kroil is good.  PB blaster may well be better on rust but I have never used it on gun finishes.  If it is an extended choke and your ready to sacrifice the choke, in addition to soaking it use a ball peen hammer on the end of the choke to tap  on the choke to help break the rust loose so the penetrating oil can seep in better.  Not hard, just tapping on the end like your driving the choke into the barrel.  I would not strike it from the side, only the end.  If it is a flush choke, there is a choke remover tool that grips the inside of the choke.  They are expensive, about a hundred dollars.  Brownells.com has them but it may actually be less expensive to have a gunsmith do it vs buying the tool.

silvestris

After soaking, use a rubber mallet with progressively harder taps.  That shouldn't cause any damage and may break it loose,  if it breaks loose, use a brass toothbrush to clean threads thoroughly.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

jblackburn

It's and extended tube, but only about 1/4 to 3/8 from barrel end.  I'll try the hammer/mallet, too.

I'm really ticked at myself about not checking the tube.  Also, ticked since the rest of the gun is in pretty nice shape.  Never even handled a 1300, but seems like a decent shotgun.  The guy said it is a featherweight, which from the little research I have done, seems like it is a early-mid 1990's gun. Is that right?  It has a wood (walnut??) stock with checkering on the grip and forearm, 28 inch ribbed barrel. I cannot find a serial number database online, but if anyone knows, the serial number is L3253XXX. 

Also, what's the deal with the bolt/ejector?  The ejector looks like a piston coming out of the bolt?  What's the purpose of that?

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Bigspurs68

If you don't want to save the tube, you could drill it and use a screwdriver or something of that nature as a T handle. ??? Just a redneck thought.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

jblackburn

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on May 12, 2014, 11:35:46 PM
If you don't want to save the tube, you could drill it and use a screwdriver or something of that nature as a T handle. ??? Just a redneck thought.

thought about that, too.  Might try it if nothing else works.

Anybody think a large easy out might work?  I could put it in a vice and use a drill or a big wrench.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Skeeterbait

That is essentially what this tool from Brownells is.  You adjust it tight to the inside of the tube.  It will damage the tube anyway though so drilling it out and using a screw driver to form a T handle would be a lot less expensive.

trackerbucky

+1 on the kroil then try a strap wrench to get some additional leverage. You can get one at sears for about $14.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-pc-strap-wrench-set/p-00945570000P

Let us know how you make out with it.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

Dtrkyman

It it is the choke I believe it is there should be a couple shallow holes in the extended part, there is a wrench that plugs into the hole to grip the tube, and to get some leverage you could add a long handle to one. Should be able to find that wrench somewhere!  Looks somewhat like a crescent wrench!

Snoodsniper

I've had this problem also. Soaked mine in diesel fuel for at least a month before it came out. I just stuck the end in a can of it about 3-4 inches deep. Prop in a corner and check it once a week til it comes out. Kroil or blaster would do the same thing I'm sure. A black powder guy showed me this when I bought a flintlock with a stuck breech plug. It will come out if you're patient.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk