turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Turkey Hunt

Started by JuniorPre 360, May 12, 2014, 10:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniorPre 360

Well, I went out all day Thursday and Friday to see if turkey hunting was as fun as everyone said it would be. It poured rain all day both days. I was drenched with wet clothes and I even got lost on the mountain for 2 hours. As for the hunting, I walked almost 3 miles before I finally found where they were at. I sat in a spot for an hour and my wife called me. As I was talking to her on the phone, a HUGE tom walked over the ridge, stopped, and stared at me. Because I'm dumb and wanted to make sure it was a to, I looked through my binos at him. Sure enough he was all beard! I sat everything down and right when I took aim, he ran and was gone forever. Not to sound even dumber, but this turkey was everythng a hunter could ask for. When I go to sleep at night, I can still see him.  >:( It was cold, I walked a ton, and I even got lost. After all that, I didn't shoot a turkey.

This trip was one of the funnest trips I've taken to kill some kind of game. It was neat hearing sandhill crane flying across the mountain and shock gobbling every turkey on the way over, watching hen turkeys chase eachother, and just being away from work and all of the world's problems. I'm hoping to take Wednesday off to give it another shot.

Dtrkyman

Welcome to the addiction!

eddie234

Yep, theres no bad day when hunting.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If you're that physically invested in your hunt you shouldn't be distracting yourself or reducing your chances of success with a cell phone.
You can handle whatever and whoever is on that phone after you're out of the woods.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 12, 2014, 12:43:39 PM
If you're that physically invested in your hunt you shouldn't be distracting yourself or reducing your chances of success with a cell phone.
You can handle whatever and whoever is on that phone after you're out of the woods.

Yea.

That's what texting is for.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 12, 2014, 12:43:39 PM
It was my wife. We made a new rule. If it's life or death, call me. If not, wait for my call.

I also forget to mention I saw something that got my blood boiling a little. Someone had shot and killed a very small jake a few days earlier and left it. I honestly didn't know turkeys looked like that when they were so small. This one had a 2 inch beard, nubbs for spurs, and just a few tail feathers. I hate to say it, but crap like this is usually typical in the areas I hunt for deer, ducks, and I guess turkey now. He was shot good in an open area, so I know he was found.

DirtNap647

Turkey hunting is very addictive mind game

tomstopper

Welcome to turkey hunting..... Good luck in the future......

surehuntsalot

welcome to the "sickness"  :icon_thumright:
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tail Feathers

Turkey hunting puts you in close contact and in tune with the woods.  That in itself is worth the trip.  The gobble and the show is addicting.  Keep after them, that next trip may be the one! ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

Sounds like the only thing you overlooked where the ticks, &, poison ivy,
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

silvestris

"I've got one that can see".  They Live (1988)
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ncturkey

:welcomeOG: and welcome to the world of turkey hunting. But put the phone on silent. And only respond the the 911 Text. You would not beleive the game misseed due to cell phone calls. Glad you had a great time in the woods. I have guide folks that would answer a call while we were hunting. I would tell them it is time to go home. They ask way. I say we can not hunt turkeys and talk on the phone. I had no sooner said that when a goobler and hen showed up. They flushed when the hunter said look there are two turkeys. But it is OK we all make those rookie mistakes. I am a 20+ year hunter and I still make rookie mistakes. But you had a great time and that is all that matters. I love being in the woods and getting away from the world. Good Luck to you. Hope you get on another big tom.

Marc

Quote from: eddie234 on May 12, 2014, 12:20:37 PM
Yep, theres no bad day when hunting.

More often than not this is a true statement...  However, both my father and I have had days that prove that statement to be false at times...

That being said, it is not the success that drives me to go turkey hunting again...  It is the failures...  The almost success.  That success that is tantalizingly close, but in the end does not occur.  The complete and total frustration of that turkey that almost does everything picture perfect.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.