turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another Great NC Season

Started by TurkeyPhanatic, May 11, 2014, 10:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyPhanatic

I was fortunate to have another great NC turkey season.  I had my most productive season and was able to harvest a bird on opening day for a second consecutive season.  Birds were silent on the opener but we had ideal weather conditions so i had a good feeling. A nice gobbler ended up coming in silent just after noon and i took him at 15 yards.  He weighed 22 lbs, 10 inch beard, and both spurs were 1 1/8" spurs. 

My second bird of the season came from on the counties with the highest density of birds in the state.  A good friend of mine who had already limited out invited me to come hunt with him.  We got set up on the permiter of a field well before shooting time.  Unlike on the opener the birds were incredibly vocal and when the first bird sounded off he was only about 60 yards behind us.  About five minutes later another 3 birds sounded of simultaneously.  The gobbled nonstop from the roost for about 35 minutes before pitching down 80 yards away.  All four longbeards worked their way towards us with a little calling.  When the lead gobbler walked into my sight i took him at 17 yards.  He weighed 14.5 lbs, had 11 1/8' and spurs were 1 3/16".

WiLL B

Congrats on some fine gobblers!!

ncturkey

captin_hook

DirtNap647

tomstopper

WillH

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

boomer

wcerin

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

cuppednlocked

Nice season!

It's nice to have good friends (especially those with good turkey land)!

beagler

Never Misses

El Pavo Grande

Congrats on a great season!!!

TurkeyPhanatic

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase