OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TURKEY CAMP 2014

Started by GOLD HUNTER, May 11, 2014, 03:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLD HUNTER

Guys I finally got some time to write up the story of our 28th annual camping/turkey trip for 2014.

We started out at 7:00 a.m.  on April 9th and headed toward the National Forest mountains of VA in Craig County.  We got there and parked the camper and unhooked it.  We preset up the camp for our 19 day stay and went to bed early and finished setting up the camp on Thursday, April 10th.  We went out on Thursday & Friday and listened for birds and completed the setup of the camp that afternoon. We heard some birds high on the mountain on Thursday and Friday, but we had better luck down low with birds.

Opening day started at 4:00 AM. and I got set up on a bird and it was over @ about 6:40am and Richard got his bird @ 7:00am, my bird 19.13 with a 10" and 1" spurs and Richards was 19.3 with a 9.5 and had 1.5 spurs.

Sunday, April 13th we had our annual family/friend chicken cookout.  All the guys at the camp provided the chicken and everyone else attending was to bring a covered dish. We had a total of 15 people there when we said grace before eating and we had a lot of food.

We gave away a $ 100.00 trout rod and vaturkey won.

We played cards every night and we all lost money playing poker.

We hunted 3 weeks and had a few guys stop in and stay a few nights with us and had 9 bearded birds killed in all but most were killed and cleaned b4 i got back to camp. This is a picture of my nephew, Cayden,  his 1st real turkey hunt and camp. Him and his dad went out and killed this bearded hen.  It had a 9" beard.

We cooked out every night, bbq ribs steak trout country style steak and gravy deer steaks shrimp  and our favorite were the tv dinners.  LOL

We all had a great time and see ya'll next year. Brian

tomstopper

Looks like a great time. Congrats on the birds....

captin_hook

You guys are doing it right. Heck of a set up. Looks like a great time.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: captin_hook on May 11, 2014, 04:40:21 PM
You guys are doing it right. Heck of a set up. Looks like a great time.

Yep,What he said^ You guys N' Galls r doin' it right. Looks like an awesome trip again! Good job.  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

strutnva

Look forward to this post every year, looks like fun to me.

Spring_Woods

Man what a great time that had to have been. Congrats!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

BowBendr

One of the best threads started each year, I always look forward to seeing the pics and seeing how ya'll guys did. Looks like a great time Brian !!  :icon_thumright:

DirtNap647

great time right there congrats  :icon_thumright:

beagler

Never Misses

jblackburn

Looks like a good time was had by all!  Congrats!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

El Pavo Grande

Nothing like those annual traditions......looks like a great time.

870FaceLift

Thanks for sharing.  That sounds like a great time.  :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

hunter22

Great set up. That's how a hunting trip should be.

CT Spur Collector

Man, now that's liven!!

That's what I'm talking about!

Thanks for sharing that guys!!

762hunter

Looks like the camping is as much fun as the hunting!