turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Daughter's First Longbeard

Started by FireDoc, May 11, 2014, 01:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireDoc

Last year my daughter took her first turkey, a Jake, and told me that this year she wanted to lay the smack down on a Longbeard. The night before our opener, I was very fortunate to find this very lonely 2 year old all by himself on the roost. With one set of calling, he gobbled over 45 times while I took the time to clip shooting lanes, and set up our gear for the morning to make for a quiet sneak in.

We were in the woods by 545AM, and before we even made it to the spot he was gobbling his head off. Got set up, and gave him a light series of tree yelps and within minutes he was on the ground.

Over the next 15 minutes he made the 70 yards or so to our setup. We could see him through the flooded timber the whole way which was great for me, but nerve racking for the girl. When he got within 40 yards, I started excited yelping to him which set him off non-stop. She was shaking so bad I had to wrap my left arm around her to steady her some. The best part was she leaned over to me while he was hammering and said; "Dad, you have to make him stop doing that or I am going to throw up!"   :icon_thumright:

Due to some brush, we had to let him get to about 12 yards and as he was coming in he began to spit and drum. I told her to listen to that sound, and asked if she could hear it; "Dad, this is NOT a teaching moment. I just want to kill this bird!" was the reply I got!  :TooFunny:

Finally when he cleared, I gave her the go ahead and she rolled him perfectly. Spent the rest of the morning making phone calls and texts to buddies and family, and then toted him out of the woods.

Was a great way to start off the season! 

Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to both your daughter and you. Love the write up.

eddie234

Very nice! Congrats

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

SwampSniper

captin_hook

alloutdoors

Quote from: FireDoc on May 11, 2014, 01:32:18 PM
"Dad, this is NOT a teaching moment. I just want to kill this bird!"

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: That made me laugh out loud.

Congrats to her, looks like she was having a great time!

owlhoot

That is great story, neat pics , way to go young lady! :icon_thumright: :z-winnersmiley:

Bigspurs68

Tell her "good job"!! Isn't it great watching your kid kill turkeys? I love it.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

DirtNap647

ncturkey

WTG Girl. Congrats on a fine longbeard. You got a good daddy. You are teaching her right. I really like your daughters settup. That sure is some good pictures. Thanks for sharing.

chcltlabz

One of the coolest stories I've read all year.  Way to go!
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Gooserbat

Too Cool.  Congrats to the Young Lady and Dad!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

boomer

doublebarrel

That's awesome. Congrats to both of you

beagler

Never Misses