turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossy 500 bantem chokes?

Started by Swampchickin234, May 11, 2014, 12:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampchickin234

We'll I got me a lil 21" barrel 20 last week.  After I got the gun, basically no chokes are in stock around this area.  I plan on ordering a couple this week.   The only one I found was a cheap tru glo gst .565    Also, no fed hw or hevi 13 7 could be found.  I picked up 1 box of win supreme 5s to just break it in.  We'll, for lead shells, I was pretty impressed up to 35 yards with that.   Anyhow, just wandering if any if y'all have run htl through this choke.   Also, what do y'all recommend for this set up?   Had my heart set on an ic but not sure.  Sumtoy is definitely an option to. I'm wanting to order ammo and chokes this week to get this thing shootin. Preciate y'all, god bless   Btw, any if y'all shootin mag blends through a mossy with 21" barrel?   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Ridge Reaper

I run a IC .555 out if my mossy 20 gauge and got just under 100 at 40 yards with the Winchester shells.I polished my barrel and those numbers went do a lot.

Lot of people are happy with the Winchesters and the undertaker chokes.

KyTurkeyHunter473

Keep us posted with what combo shoots good out of that gun.  Shopping around for a choke tube for my sons Mossberg  510 mini w/ the 18.5" barrel. I've got hevi 6s and 7s to try. I've heard a lot of people are using the tightwad with their 500 bantams but I'm wondering if I should go a little tighter with the shorter barrel. Mainly looking for a good 30yd pattern.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: KyTurkeyHunter473 on May 11, 2014, 07:33:42 PM
Keep us posted with what combo shoots good out of that gun.  Shopping around for a choke tube for my sons Mossberg  510 mini w/ the 18.5" barrel. I've got hevi 6s and 7s to try. I've heard a lot of people are using the tightwad with their 500 bantams but I'm wondering if I should go a little tighter with the shorter barrel. Mainly looking for a good 30yd pattern.
will do sir.  I'm sure you prolly want to shoot htl, but if you're just lookin for a good 30 yard pattern, ya might try those Winchester 5s with that true glo .565.   I was impressed.   I want a better 40 yard partern(still had 20 pellets in the head neck on the target) but they shot far better than I immagined.   That was this afternoon with a clean barrel.   30 yards was pretty dang good with 109 in a 81/2 inch circle.    I will shoot many more loads but definitely will have 3 or 4 boxes for that choke out up if the time calls lol   Ill keep ya posted how she shoots with other loads and chokes

Swampchickin234

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 11, 2014, 01:10:48 PM
I run a IC .555 out if my mossy 20 gauge and got just under 100 at 40 yards with the Winchester shells.I polished my barrel and those numbers went do a lot.

Lot of people are happy with the Winchesters and the undertaker chokes.
thumbs up ; if I could get around 100 with lead 5s I would be mighty tempted to shoot that. This 20 ga project is fun stuff. Blessings

surehuntsalot

the tightwad is a good all round inexpensive choke to try out
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WV Ridge Reaper

Indeed,kind makes me wish I never polished my barrel...Someone did say that those shells run better on dirty barrel.

Bigspurs68

My girls shoot nitro 7's out of a bantam 500 with a IC 555. It gets around 135 at 40. Not amazing but it works every time.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Swampchickin234

Preciate y'all.   Anybody know where I can find a tightwad .570 in a standard invector?  I'm Having a hard time findin one.   Btw I have some more 5s , 6s, and 7s to try through the tg .565 and an undertaker .582.   Anybody shot these 5s thorough  that undertaker? 

KyTurkeyHunter473

Cheaperthandirt.com has the tightwad for mossberg/ invector.  Only place online I've seen them

firedup

I set a Bantam up for my Dad and for the youngsters to shoot and I put in a ported Pure Gold in .570 with Fed HW #7's and get in the 140-150 in a 10" at 40 yds pretty much every time.  Good pattern spread.  Never tried to figure an average.  That is a PORTED choke and I think I mite do better with a non-ported if all the reports are true.  But it sure kills em dead at 40 and in..... I shoot Hevi #7 in my other little 20.  Didn't have any luck with Magblends in either gun.  A lot of folks shoot the .555 and get great tite patterns at 40 but it was just to tite for me at closer ranges.  I prefer the .570 in my 20's. ;)

Swampchickin234

Appreciate the knowledge.  Any mossberg fans, please take no offense, but after buying a mossy 500, it was gone within a week.  I simply cannot stand to listin to that rattle. Maybe I'm just to new to the mossy workd(that was my first mossy ever) but goooodnight that thing rattled like a rock concert.  I ended up with an h&r pardner pump with 26 " barrel.  Very pleased with the hw 7.  Have hevi 7s to try also. However, mossy chokes interchange with h&r so any more ideas are appreciated.  God bless