turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heavier third shell?

Started by BlakeJ, May 11, 2014, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

I thought about something the other day, and will probably start doing it.

I shoot mag blends, and for the third shell in my gun I'm going to have Hevi 4's. I've only had to use the third shell a couple times, and it was out there. I want the most distance I can get on that shot.

Does anyone do this?

SinGin

I try not to need a third one or a second one but I have heard a couple of old timmers doing it and a person could see why.

Cut N Run

I started hunting with a single shot and it made a world of difference.  You'll learn to let the bird get closer and make the first shot count.   

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

d.winsor

I try not to use a shot size over #5 because a sparse pattern with #4 shot will break bones and not necessarily kill a bird, though it will usually die from such a injury.  Usually by the time you use a third shot the bird is some distance away.  As mentioned above wait for them to get closer, pattern your gun so you know where the sure kill range is and stick to it.  I shoot one time, win loose or draw, That is enough for me, I am trying to hit the bird in the head, a running bird and you with a tight pattern is not a sure shot situation.  I have never taken a second shot, if I ever do it will be because the first shot wounded the bird.  My very next act would be to check my poa, poi and pattern density to make sure my shooting is not off.  Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

30_06

I lose pattern density big time with the larger pellets so I prefer to stick with my original shell.

WyoHunter

Quote from: 30_06 on May 11, 2014, 11:44:54 AM
I lose pattern density big time with the larger pellets so I prefer to stick with my original shell.
:icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

DirtNap647

have not tried it but heard of others doing it

Gooserbat

Not to be a know it all, but learn your gun, and it's capabilities and stay with in them and you won't need a 2nd or 3rd shell.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

I always carry 5 shells in my 12ga and 20ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WildTigerTrout

I don't use a different load for the third round but I know other turkey hunters who do.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

tomstopper

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 12, 2014, 09:37:42 AM
Not to be a know it all, but learn your gun, and it's capabilities and stay with in them and you won't need a 2nd or 3rd shell.
:agreed:

TRKYHTR

Alot of the time I only have 2 shells in my gun. I've never shot at a turkey 3 times in my history of turkey hunting.

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mudhen

Many a coyote has died from the H-13 #5's I usually have in the magazine, but no turkeys with the 3rd shot that I can recall...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

ncturkey

Old Time'sr use to do it. Think about your question and you will come up with the answer on your own. Let say you shot and miss a turkey that is in range, then you miss again while he is still in range. Mostly likely the bird will be either at the far edge of being in range or out of range. If he is still in range the same shell you used for the first shot will kill him. If he is out of range the #4's will proabbly not do you any good. You could get lucky with a load #4's. But we should depend on luck for the shot. We own the bird a good clean kill. learn the effective range of your gun and load and you will not need that #$ load for the third shell in your gun.

trackerbucky

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 14, 2014, 09:48:38 PM
I always carry 5 shells in my 12ga and 20ga

I always load up too.  It makes the gun heavier helps reduce recoil.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.