turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

who's trumpets to collect

Started by wbralo, May 10, 2014, 09:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbralo

I'm wanting to get into collecting trumpets and wanting to know whos trumpets to try and buy. I'm on Mr. Cox list for one of his trumpets and missed a really good looking call from pappy. I'm wanting quality calls that i can hand down to my kids. Can y'all point in the right direction on quality call makers. Thanks 

Trumpetyelper

I'm no expert and this list is by no means complete, but here are some of the call makers that come to my mind.  Hope this helps get you started.
Zach Farmer
Frank Cox
Marlin Watkins
Ralph Permar
Billie Buice
Steve Lumma
Brian Mero
Don Bald
Matt McClain
Herb Hornstra
Daryl Slaton
Jack Lewis
Danny Wells
Mike Battey
Kenny Pendalahore
Ernie Fetters
Irving Whitt
Jerry White
Mark Sharpe

turkeyfanatic

I'm a believer the more calls the call maker makes the less value they will have in the long run. Now that's only speaking in terms of collecting for something to hand down to your kids that's going to be worth money.

There are other criteria that I look for as well but I want something that can be an investment and kill turkeys.  I've been down the road of collecting everything I possibly could and found out real quick that style wasn't for me.

The turkey call market is flooded. Kind of like baseball cards.  Thats not a bad thing you just have to know who to collect for long term investments.

Now if you just want calls to have calls it can be fun and addicting thats for sure.

Have fun

Tomsoph

As far as purchasing a trumpet for investment purposes with the hope of passing down to your children, there is no call that appreciates more than a Frank Cox...that is fact...and for me, no other call has the playability of a Cox...My children will be happy some day that dad bought the "right" calls...

wbralo

Thanks so much for your help!

savduck

Quote from: Trumpetyelper on May 10, 2014, 10:27:29 PM
I'm no expert and this list is by no means complete, but here are some of the call makers that come to my mind.  Hope this helps get you started.
Zach Farmer
Frank Cox
Marlin Watkins
Ralph Permar
Billie Buice
Steve Lumma
Brian Mero
Don Bald
Matt McClain
Herb Hornstra
Daryl Slaton
Jack Lewis
Danny Wells
Mike Battey
Kenny Pendalahore
Ernie Fetters
Irving Whitt
Jerry White
Mark Sharpe

Pretty strong list.

Add John Dangerfield,  Craig Scott, Alan Sentell, Tim Sandford, and Billy McCallister to it as well.
Georgia Boy

wbralo

Their is diffently a lot of great call makers building beautiful calls. I want a few of everyone's calls!! They are wonderful works of art.  Breath taking calls. Thanks for adding these wonderful looking calls. I know the list doesn't name all the great call makers but I really appreciate y'all letting me know about them. Thanks again

Crawdad

Sure was wishing someone would mention the Crawdad Trumpet, but I guess not. But i'm still very proud of the work I do. :'(

hunter22

You should be proud of the work you do Robert. The three trumpets you made for me are mighty fine. In addition to Robert Glover you may want to also add Mike Williams, Dave Constantine, and Pete Peters to the list.

nitro

After 25+ years of running, hunting with and collecting Trumpets, my list is real short.

I judge by #1, sound quality, #2, craftsmanship and #3, materials..

No particular order -

Farmer
Cox
Buice
Pedelahore
Sandford
Permar
Hornsta

I hunt mine and that is the #1 criteria for a keeper..
Royal Slam 2008

savduck

Quote from: Crawdad on May 13, 2014, 09:38:07 PM
Sure was wishing someone would mention the Crawdad Trumpet, but I guess not. But i'm still very proud of the work I do. :'(

Dang right Robert you do build a great little call. Sorry I had missed you.
Georgia Boy

gaswamp

Quote from: wbralo on May 10, 2014, 09:35:12 PM
I'm wanting to get into collecting trumpets and wanting to know whos trumpets to try and buy. I'm on Mr. Cox list for one of his trumpets and missed a really good looking call from pappy. I'm wanting quality calls that i can hand down to my kids. Can y'all point in the right direction on quality call makers. Thanks

stick with Cox, but not to collect.  Only to hunt with, otherwise you really won't appreciate or enjoy it.

M Sharpe

Mike Williams for sure! He is a hunter who builds a few calls. There won't be near as many of them as some of the others.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

boatpaddle

Let's not forget Frank Hegler's name on that list.... :z-winnersmiley:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

letinmfly

Dave Hodgkins, aka Blackfalcon,  makes a fine trumpet as well.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings